Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CAN'T OPEN ONE OF MY DATABASES

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

CAN'T OPEN ONE OF MY DATABASES

WE HAVE 2 DATABASES, IN 2 SEPARATE DIRECTORIES. ONE OF THEM OPENS JUST FINE. THE OTHER "CANNOT BE FOUND." I KNOW THE SERVER OF THE DATABASE THAT I CAN'T OPEN IS UP-AND-RUNNING BECAUSE THAT'S MY COMPUTER!

WHAT COULD BE HAPPPENING?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author paymenthelpcenter
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: CAN'T OPEN ONE OF MY DATABASES

THANKS, GUYS. I HAD TO CALL TECH SUPPORT.

TURNS OUT THAT THE PROBLEM WAS THE "TOOLS>>SHARE" OPTION. IT WAS UNCHECKED. IT GOT UNCHECKED BY ITSELF WHEN I DEFRAGMENTED MY DISK.

I HOPE THIS SOLUTION CAN HELP OTHER PEOPLE.

THANKS AGAIN AND HAVE A NICE WEEK.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

For the database that can't be found, try using File -> Open Database and manually point to the .pad file associated with it and click Open (much easier if you have a drive mapped for where your ACT directories reside). If you still receive the same error, ensure that the associated .ADF file, .ALF file, and database-files folder is in the same directory as the .pad file (it should be packed nicely just like below unless those files were moved manually for whatever reason).

<Database Folder>

.{Database-files} folder

.{Database.pad} file

.{Database.alf} file

.{Database.adf} file

Platinum Elite Contributor

The PAD file is just a Pointer to the ACT! Database. If the database has been moved, you'll need to re-create it.

Delete the PAD file and then, from ACT!, File | Open. Change the file type to ADF and open the database. This will create a new PAD file that you can use to open the database afterwards.

Solution
Accepted by topic author paymenthelpcenter
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

THANKS, GUYS. I HAD TO CALL TECH SUPPORT.

TURNS OUT THAT THE PROBLEM WAS THE "TOOLS>>SHARE" OPTION. IT WAS UNCHECKED. IT GOT UNCHECKED BY ITSELF WHEN I DEFRAGMENTED MY DISK.

I HOPE THIS SOLUTION CAN HELP OTHER PEOPLE.

THANKS AGAIN AND HAVE A NICE WEEK.

I can't open Act at all. Not even to check "tools" settings or anything. Suddenly I cannot acesss my database at all. I think it has something to do with SQL server settings. I am really sunk, since I can't get the basic program to open period. Anybody out there that can help?  Thanks

What version of ACT! - full build from help | about?
What error (if any) do you get?

Thank you.  It is Version 2007 (9.0)  The errorr message reads: "The dtatbase INSURANCE2 could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server"

I do know that I recently installed about 126 windows XP Home updates. I didn't have the automatic radio button selected. 

I was successful in bringing all of the Windows updates in with the exception of one, which is SQL server 2005 service pack update. I called Microsoft and they tod me that I would not (ever) be able to successfully install that updtae unless I purchased the SQL software from them. 

However, evertything was working fine until a new insurance company that I have just been appointed to represent was monkeying around with my Outlook and made substantial changes to my system so that I now have 2 Outlook inboxes to look at - their "secure" one for all correspondence in and out of their proprietary email system and my regular personal Outlook mail.  So they must have changed a setting somewhere causing this problem with the SQL server.

Thanks very much Mike.  I will work on these.