Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Brand new user needs help!

Brand new user needs help!

Hi Everyone! I'm a complete newbie to Act! and quite honestly have no clue how to use it. I'm not sure how I was nominated in my group to become the guru but I digress.

I have figured out how to add new contacts (go me!) however is there anywhere to add family members? Such as children, grandchildren etc?

Also, I put a note under one contact regarding a meeting and the note shows up on every single contact under the notes tab. How do I keep a note exclusive to one contact?

Thank you in advance!

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Brand new user needs help!

Hi and welcome to ACT! A great place to start is in the help menu both the online manuals and the feature tours are very useful.

There is a place for spouse in the default template but kids etc would have to be added, create custom fields and modify your layout.

As for the notes you must have had more than one contact selected when you created the note.

GL and happy learning 

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

Is there a way to delete the note from every single person's notes? Or will my meeting note that was intended for one client be there for everyone forever?

(Did that even make sense? LOL)

Copper Super Contributor

Unfortunately, you will have to delete the individually.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Platinum Elite Contributor

You could ad fields for the family member, add Secondary Contacts or add full Contacts... it really depends on what info you want to keep on them and what you want to do with them.

A future meeting should be scheduled as an activity... a meeting that you've held should be recorded in history - either by clearing the activity you created or, if you hadn't created the activity first, by clicking record history (or Ctrl-H)

Platinum Elite Contributor

imcamel wrote:

Is there a way to delete the note from every single person's notes? Or will my meeting note that was intended for one client be there for everyone forever?

(Did that even make sense? LOL)

If it's a single note with multiple contacts (open the note and look at the contacts field), deleting it will remove it from all contacts... or you could just change the contact field to only be the contact you want it attached to

Besides the great advice here if you have been nominated to become the ACT! Guru for your office I would recommend you do what I did and purchase the "ACT! By Sage For Dummies" book.  It's written by a ACT! Consultant and it's in very simple and sometimes humorous manner.  I had to special order it from Books-A-Million after hunting for it in seveal bookstores.  I have found it extremely helpful to learn the basic and advance features of ACT!  Make sure you get the one for the latest version there are some old versions still out there.  Let me know if you need the ISBN.  I think it ran me around $25.  The few technical problems I have had being a new user myself have been quickly solved by the knowlegeable folks on this forum!

Hello, I had the same question she did and I like your response.  For some reason when I click on "help", I get nothing but a blank screen.  Can you tell me how & where (what screen) to create a custom field?  Thank you

Oh, one other thing, adding them on the secondary tab won't work because they would have to be a Contact -- and the children aren't listed as contacts in our database and we don't want them to be.