Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Bought V17 Pro last week. Can't update DB

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Bought V17 Pro last week. Can't update DB

[ Edited ]

So we had a PC crash (old XP unit) and we upgraded to a nice Core I5 Windows 10 desktop with an SSD and everything.  It's very fast.  We were able to update Quick-books and our other databases without a hitch.  In comes ACT 17.  We tried 3 separate backups from ACT! 10 and they all do the same thing.  We open the ADF file and it says it needs to "verify".  Once that occurs you just wait.   it sits there with the "Working..." screen and it never goes away.   

We even tried it on a Windows 7 machine, no good.   Called up support and literately say on hold with no support all day Friday.  The worst support is when you buy a new product and can't even use it.   I am so fed up.  

Anyone with a suggestion out there?  We are essentially stuck.  We need this for our business and were always diligent with our backups.   We did not upgrade because we were worried that this sort of thing would happen.       

Capture.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Unibilt
‎02-29-2016 09:32 AM
Administrator

Re: Bought V17 Pro last week. Can't update DB

Hi Unibilt,

How large (filesize) is your database?
We've seen these upgrades take anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours. How long have you left it running?

I would suggest running a check/repair/reindex on the database in actdiag and trying the upgrade again.
Here's a Knowledgebase article that details the process: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26854

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Try opening Act by right-clicking the icon and choosing Run as Administrator.  Then try to restore a backup and/or open the ADF. 

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately no success.     I end up with the same results.

It starts with this dialogue and then moves on to the "Working..." screen...And to give you an idea we even tried this on our I7 4790k@4.8GHz/24GB RAM/ and (4) Samsung 850 EVO's in RAID 10.  It's not a slow machine.   We thought our other machine might just be too slow but we are experiencing the same issue on our High end system 

Capture.PNG

Solution
Accepted by topic author Unibilt
‎02-29-2016 09:32 AM
Administrator

Hi Unibilt,

How large (filesize) is your database?
We've seen these upgrades take anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours. How long have you left it running?

I would suggest running a check/repair/reindex on the database in actdiag and trying the upgrade again.
Here's a Knowledgebase article that details the process: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26854

200MB.  We let it run all night (12+ hours) and it never went past "working".    Just completed your suggestion on attaching the database in ACTDiag.... Looks like everything is working now.   Thank you very much.  

Copper Elite Contributor

Can you open the demo database? 

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Copper Elite Contributor

Another question - you say you open the .adf.  Are the .alf and the database files also in the same location?  And, will this be a server environment?

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450