Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Blank field not updating when changing linked company address

Copper Contributor

Blank field not updating when changing linked company address

Hello, this isn't a function I need very often but it bugs me. If I have to change a company address where, for example, the Address 2 field goes from having information to blank, the subsequent updating of contacts doesn't change Address 2 to blank, but leaves in the previous address information - am I missing something obvious?

Nickel Contributor

Re: Blank field not updating when changing linked company address

No, you came across something that has been discussed widely in other threads of this community.

From a user's point of view this seems to be a bug, but the outcome of the discussions in those other places was that "ACT! works as designed".

Blanking a linked company field is not populated to the corresponding contact record fields.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the quick response, I did search before posting but couldn't find a relevant thread. So "ACT! works as designed" - as in badly designed!. There is virtually no point in having the fuction if you have to then go through many contacts manually removing address information - I just can't underestand why this woudn't have been fixed at some point. We are using ACT pro 18. My blank field now has an irritating dot in it
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pretty good solution is to perform a lookup of the contacts you need changed and use the ACT!/ EDIT / REPLACE Field option.

Ex; From the contact module, lookup contact that have the same company name, so perform your lookup on the Company field.

Then you will have a list of contacts that work at that company.

Then use the Edit / Replace command.

In your case, this time, it sounds like you would replace the Contact's address2 field with blank or nothing.

Bill Williams - Owner / ACT! Consultant / Trainer at FILL STAFF HR "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://www.fillstaffhr.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Download Free BullZip PDF Printer and Print directly to PDF http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
Administrator

This is 'working as designed' as such - it was a deliberate decision taken to avoid accidental data loss.

I can appreciate why this might not be desirable in some cases, and why it might seem confusing. There is a conversation ongoing about whether this feature should be preserved, or if it should be removed in future versions.

However, as of v20 this is expected behaviour.