Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Birthday event problem

Birthday event problem

Currently using Act! 2010; Windows 7 Ultimate.

The issue I'm having is simple: when I enter a client in the database, Act automatically generates an annual event - more specifically, a meeting - on their birthday.

Problem is two things: one,  I do not want it to be a meeting; I want it to be a phone call instead. Two, the annual events start from the year of their birth - so if someone was born in 1940, it will generate 60 annual events that need to be cleared before this year!

I have tried changing the birth date from an annual event to just a date, and that hasn't solved the problem. Is there any way to change the default behavior of this feature to a call, no alarm starting in the current year? Or at the very least, turn this feature off entirely?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Birthday event problem

ACT! doesn't actually do that... could you be running an add-on that's scheduling these?

I am running DoubleLook to sync between Act and Outlook...think it could be this? I have looked over all of the settings and I do not see where it would create an annual event. Could Outlook 2007 be doing this?

It's possible you have a setting in Outlook that's creating the activities from the birthdate and being brought back into ACT!

Okay, you were right...and this information should probably be passed along...

If you use Doublelook and sync information BOTH WAYS, it appears that when Outlook 2007 gets a birthday entered in the contact information it automatically genenrates an annual event starting with the year of birth...which then is sync'd back to Act which creates the annual event. 

There is no way to turn this off in Outlook 2007...I looked everywhere. You just have to change it when it happens.

Thanks for the help!

Copper Contributor

For Doublelook, you can simply unmap the Birthday field from synchronization to Outlook.  This will prevent Outlook's Birthday feature from creating the extra meeting on that date.
Copper Contributor

I have the same problem in that thousands of future and past events have been created through a sync with Outlook.  I've disabled the cause but now I'm stuck with very messy data in ACT. 

Is there an easy way to delete all future events, meetings, to-do's, etc in ACT!?  I've been deleting thousands of future events by selecting as many as I can and erasing... but for birthdays and other recurring items there seems to be no end (if I delete future birthdays in 2027, 2028, 2029, etc) then the following years continue to populate ACT with no end in sight.

Any ideas? 

Restore a backup, then merge in the database without the activities might be a way
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello HBECDS1,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

As FYI: You can remove/erase recurring activities and delete all occurrences; however, it has to be done on an individual reoccuring activity basis.   If you select multiple activities you will not get the option to 'delete all occurrences'.

Greg Martin
Sage