Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Better Google Integration

Better Google Integration

Guys, it's 2010. Act is working for me but its inability to better integrate with the technology of this decade is growing thin quickly. The vast majority of people and companies are now moving to webmail. I have several other apps that all have NO problem sending mail using Gmail (without the silly need to go through Outlook). It should also be able to integrate with Google Calendar among other things. I can't always be at my desk so having a calendar that lives and breaths only on my desk is a major drawback these days.

Please do whatever is necessary to get Act working better with online solutions and the key providers that are dominating the landscape. Without such integration we're going to need to look for another solution shortly.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Better Google Integration

We are developers of ACT! and work with Google resources to do smart things with ACT!.

1. What is your detailed expectation of the integration of ACT! calendar and Google?

2. If we were to proceed to develop an integration would you be willing to participate as a beta tester?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Graeme, I spent 16 years as a QA professional so that part comes naturally to me.

I would anticipate Act being able to send, update and receive entries to and from Google Calendar. That should include all elements of Google Calendar. In other words I should, in Google Calendar, be able to identify it as a new calendar and have it appear there under My Calendars with its own attributes (color, notifications).

I should be able to add updates to those items from Google and have them appear in Act. Thus if I'm I'm the road and make a call to a scheduled client I should be able to denote the status after the call and have the added to Act.

The biggest issue, of course, is getting Act to be able to work with Gmail to process e-mail. Just today Verizon announced that they too are going to a non-standard port for spam reasons. So now Act won't work with Verizon accounts either? I see this as a growing list.

BTW, the most awesome thing would be something as smart as Google's Quick Add to the Calendar on the Act side. I can just type "Dinner with Steve on Thursday at 5pm for 2 hours" and it puts it in the calendar on the right DATE at the right time for the right length and removes the extras so that the entry just says "Dinner with Steve". Brilliant. I'd love to be able to do that for outbound calls. "Call Bob Somers on Thursday at 1:30 for 30 minutes" and have that added to my calendar on both sides as expected.

Bronze Elite Contributor

We have taken a brief look at what would be required to achieve the Google calendar integration you are looking for. We are busy with further development of our accounting integration for ACT! but will make time to build integration with Google. The process will be to build the integration over a series of modules so that we release components progressively rather than have the complete result in one release. To assist in specification and beta testing please email you details to the address below.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog