Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Best way to seperate personal contacts from work contacts?

Best way to seperate personal contacts from work contacts?

How can I do this? Seperate personal contacts with my business contacts? Also, in regards to activities. I want to make a new activity type, is it possible to make my own fields in the activity as well or do I need to use the defaut ones only? -Frankie
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Best way to seperate personal contacts from work contacts?

You can probably create a new database in act to maintain your personal contacts.
You may be able to create new activity type by going to schedule menu | manage | activity type | can add the activity type from this window

Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

You can catgeorize a contact as private contact (have a look at the contact info tab). In this way, other users will not be able to see your private contacts.

Or you also create and use a checkbox to categorize your contacts.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

It's in regards to Syncing to outlook and outlookto my PDA. I want to be able to seperate personal contacts from business contacts in outlook after syncing. Otherwise my personal contacts will be shown with my personal contacts, gets messy this way. Is I make a new database I don't think this will help will it?? -Frankie

How do You mean to use and categorize with a checkbox? I couldn't find a checkbox anywhere? Could you elaborate please? -Frankie
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

If you wanted to sync your act database with Outlook, I suggest you to use an add-on like Doublelook. And I think with it you can use a custom field to categorize your contact.

But if the final goal is to synchronise ACT with your PDA, simply try the link or CompanionLink

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

Here is what i did:

i created a seperate database for personal use.  sync it with outlook using doublelook. which is synched to my blackberry. wirelessly using the handheld contact oulook tool for $59/year.  i do not sync calendar items or notes.  the only reason i do this for my personal contacts is because i like the ease of ACT for things like generating labels for christmas cards or grouping people for some reason or another.  i don't really expect to access that ACT database often.

I uses a seperate database for business (specifically prospecting).  the only calendar items that go on that database are sales follow up calls and opportunities.  i open that up seperately when focusing on sales.  i use my blackberry, outlook, personal ACT database for personal contacts and customers only.

I sync the business database with the Handheld contact applet on my blackberry.  i have yet to access that.  i just started this ball rolling recently so i don't know how to work it into my process yet.  we'll see if it's a keeper.

(this response was actually to another post on this thread.)