Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Best way to give sales people direction through Act?

Copper Contributor

Best way to give sales people direction through Act?

I usually make notes on contact records and ask my sales people to do the same so i see what they are talking about and what their concerns are. I have been telling them to sort their contact list by most recently edited so they know which ones I have put notes on and they can read my notes and follow up if necessary.  Is there a better way to be doing this? I can't micromanage and make sure they read every note and I know in some cases they just aren't taking my advice. For example, I know a certain contact is interested in something or has potential and they don't do anything about it. 

Re: Best way to give sales people direction through Act?

Hi there, the Notes system has been designed for exactly the kind of process you are talking about, recording helpful pieces of information so that users can follow-up. As you say though, that does rely on your users checking the Notes tab and reading through, there is no way of forcing them to do this.

How do your users work with their contacts? Is their a set process they follow, for example working through a specific list on daily basis? Understanding how and why they choose to get in touch with their contacts might help us identify other methods you can try.

If it was a particularly important note, or something that you needed a user to take care of, you could schedule an activity on their behalf. So for example, whilst working on the Contact record, you could schedule a "to-do" by clicking the button in the global toolbar, fill out the details tab so the user understands exactly what you're asking of them, and use the "Schedule for" button in the bottom right corner of the window to assign that task to a specific user. That activity would then appear in the user's calendar making it difficult to ignore. Plus you could then check the calendar and see if the user has marked the activity as completed or not, so you know if they have seen it.

Copper Contributor

We have many leads and prospects, possibly hundreds. Most are a waste of time. However, sometimes I learn something about a contact or remember something about their company and put the notes in - "This guy may be interested in buying X, offer him X and find out what else he can buy and more info about his business."

We are a distribution company and sales people are looking to move product every day. It's not a long sales cycle, just finding the right product at the right price for the right buyer.

I thought about putting in an activity or alarm for each contact I add and have them sync it and check every morning but it seems like that would be annoying and a bit micromanaging.

Hmmm, looking at the situation here, I can only really see two options:

1. Train your end users to adopt better habits, so keep hammering home to them to check the Notes until they start doing this regularly.

2. Use a method to directly inform them about individual contacts, though this could be seen as micromanaging.

In terms of directly informing them, activities would be easy for you to monitor, but there are other methods. You could of course simply email your users and ask them to look at a list of individuals. Alternatively if you wanted to use Act! to inform them, you could set up notifications. Notifications allow you to send messages to all of your Act! users to inform them of important announcements via a small pop-up that opens whenever they open the database. You could use them to inform your users about contacts that you have recently updated.

To set up notifications, you must be using Act! v17.1 or above, you must be an administrator, and you go to Tools > Preferences > Notifications.