Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Best Practice for Archiving Old Emails in ACT Internet Email Client?

Best Practice for Archiving Old Emails in ACT Internet Email Client?

I have the latest version of ACT. I have set up the ACT Internet email client, as I prefer not to use Outlook.

When I download email, I reply as needed and drag the emails from the Inbox to a folder I created called "Archive".

Over time, there will be a LOT of emails stored in this folder. I know that I can run a utility to delete older items when needed, but is there any way to permanently archive all old email so that it isn't deleted forever (and is still available)?

I can foresee having 1-2000 messages in that archive folder and that would not be good.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Best Practice for Archiving Old Emails in ACT Internet Email Client?

You will only find such a utility in Outlook where you can have a seperate email store in the form of another .pst
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

If there is no solution for the problem of archiving old emails in ACT!'s client, maybe I should set up Outlook.

Two issues:

1) I already have email downloaded and attached to contacts with the built in ACT! Internet email. Can these be transferred or kept if I set up Outlook?

2) When Outlook archives old messages - if these messages are attached to contacts, will they still show in the contact's history after Outlook has archived them?

Thanks!

Bronze Contributor

When the emails are attached either from Internet Mail client or from Outlook then a copy of the email is placed into the attachments folder so before you do anything why dont you test the following:

a) Send yourself an email

b) Attach this to a contact other than yourself

c) Delete this email from the mail client

d) go back into ACT lookup the contact you attached it to and you will find that the email is there.

So if you prefer to us the Internet mail client and you have already attached a lot of emails go to the contacts these are attached to and check you will find that the emails are attached within the database not from the email store.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.