Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Best Course of Action?

Best Course of Action?

Hello all, I've taken over IT duties at a small company and they've asked me to work with their ACT! software which the business guys have been using to get it to do things they never were able to get it to do.  What they need is:

1) A main database through which they can access all information

2) The ability to only have their information stored on their computers.

Now, there are however some obstacles to this, the largest of which is that I know zero about ACT!.  After reading through some of the documentation, etc., I decided what would probably be the "best" idea is:

Create a main database on one of the business guys' computers, most likely the only one who has a desktop

Turn all of the other business guys' computers into remote databases.

But I don't really know how to go about this.  I suppose the first task would be to create copies of all the databases and combine all of the copies from all machines onto the one designated to be main database.  The hurdle with this is that I'm still unsure as to how to go about doing that.

The next task, perhaps, would be to create sync sets based upon each of the original person's contacts (this seems like the most annoying/time consuming part)

After that, pack up everything based upon those sync sets as remote databases and distribute.

4) Unpack all the DBs onto the computers they need to be, and go from there.

I've posed a lot of questions to this, but overarchingly there are two:

1) Is the method I've outlined here a good one given the circumstances and desires of the people who will be using ACT!

2) How do I go about actually implementing those parts of the method which I seem hazy on.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Best Course of Action?

You did not specify what version of ACT! that you are using. If I understand what is wanted you would need to be using the premium version of the ACT! program, version 2005 or later.

I would also suggest that you employee the services of an ACT! Certified Consultant. Here is the link to a list of ACCs. http://www.act.com/community/acc/

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

My apologies.  It's the Standard Version, version 10.0.  If I may ask, what about what is wanted would require the premium version?

Hi,

If you have users more than 10, then you can opt for Premium, else you can use Premium.

Regards,

Uniquestart

Thanks & Regards
Uniquestart Technologies

Hi,

If all the users are in the same network, you can actually share the database, instead of Synchronizing. You can make use of Synchronization for the users who use laptop for using ACT.

Thanks & Regards
Uniquestart Technologies

Yes, all the users are on the same network, and even the laptops would be.  However, forging together all the data into one database and sharing it still wouldn't give them the ability to look only at their data, would it?

That is why I noted that you probably needed the premium version of the ACT! program. It has security that the standard version does not have, mainly a feature called limited access which can restrict each user to specific contacts in the database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Ah okay, now I understand.  Thanks for clarifying!  Smiley Happy

However, wouldn't I be able to mimic this effect (affect?) by turning each workstation into a remote database and having them work out of the remote database?  If not, what would that actually do?

Message Edited by dcarlet101 on 10-15-2008 01:16 PM

No. While you can set up a sync set for the remote database, the remote user can still see a listing of all the contacts in the database and then request additional contacts to be included in the users sync set. With selective access they can't even see that there are other contacts in the database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Well, I don't want them to never be able to see that there are other contacts.  Hmmm..  Perhaps an example of the kind of thing I'm thinking of would be best.  Let's say Businessman B wants to see the progress overall of the company (all opportunities, the progress of each one, etc).  He pulls up the opportunities window and is able to view all that.  However, he then decides  he wants to view Businessman A's data only, so he selects "Businessman A" from a drop-down or something (I don't know how that'd work, like I said I'm not familiar with ACT!), and is able to view all of Businessman A's opportunities, how far he's gotten in things, etc..