Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Batch Delete / Remove Contacts from List of Email Addresses?

Batch Delete / Remove Contacts from List of Email Addresses?

Hello, 

Is there a way to delete a batch of CONTACTS based on a list of EMAIL ADDRESSES? 

We have a list of 1,700 email address & we want to completely delete the contacts that are associated with the addresses.  Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Batch Delete / Remove Contacts from List of Email Addresses?

Hello CrawfordPark,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! User Community. While there is not a direct process to do this, you can try using an import merge to accomplish this, if you have your list of emails in an Excel sheet or .csv file:

- Make a backup of your ACT! database

- Create a new field in ACT! and name it Email Delete; make it a Character field

- Save the field and add it to your layout

- Go to Tools > Preferences > Admin tab (far right) and click the Duplicate Checking button. For ACT! 2010 and lower, this button will be under the General tab.

- Choose Contact fields, then choose the Email field as the only field to check; make sure the box to enable duplicate checking is checked

- Open the spreadsheet or file with your email addresses on it

- Delete all columns (if any) except for the one with the email addresses; remove any empty cells in that column

- Add a new column and label it Email Delete (to match the field name in ACT!); populate all rows for all email addresses for that column with the word "Yes"; save the file and close it

- In  ACT!, go to File > Import; choose "Excel" or "Text-separated by commas" as the file type (depending on the file type you saved your email address file in). Browse for and open your email file

- Choose Contact records

- Choose Custom import

- Leave "Yes, import the first record" box unchecked

- On the field map, ensure the Email and Email Delete fcolumn are mapped to the corresponding field names in ACT!

- On the merge options screen, click the Contact button

- The value on the left side should be Merge, the value on the right should be Do Not Add

- Click Finish to import

The import should find all the contact records who have an email address in the Email field that matches an email address on your spreadsheet and populate the Email Delete field for those contacts with the word "Yes". When the import is complete, do a lookup on the Email Delete field for the word "Yes" to get a list of these contacts - you can then delete them.  I tested this process a smaller group of 100 contacts and it worked as expected.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Cool! Thank you very much, Greig. Really appreciate it. I'll try it in the next day or 2 & report back to you. Again, thanks for the quick response.

Hello.  Thank you again for these detailed instructions, however... it didn't work.  I am sure it is "user error" but I don't know which step I continue to fail on, becuase I have been through each step numerous times.  It just that it never seems to register to do anything after it succesfully uploads the list.  Any thoughts on a particular step I should investigate futher?

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

What are seeing when you go through this process?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.