Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Basic Email Questions

Basic Email Questions

Newbie here again...

I'm using Vista and Act for Real Estate 2008.

When I send an email, it brings up Outlook 2007 and I write and send my email.

I thought that a record of it, maybe in History or Activities, would be recorded in Act, but it's not.

Am I doing something wrong or are my expections wrong?

Thanks,
Rich Guagliardo

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Basic Email Questions

You will need to set up an act address book in outlook to record histories.  How to - http://tinyurl.com/2pmd9o

Once you have done that and restarted outlook you can click Tools -> Options -> ACT! -> History Options and set you options.

Tom

Yep, I did all that.  The only thing that I did not do was the restart. 

So, I did the restart of Outlook and Act and still no history showing up in the history tab under the client I sent an email to.  I also went into Outlook  and selected Tools -> Options -> Act Tab and said to "Record History" with "Entire email as attachment".  I also made the Act Address Book in Outlook the first in the order of address books to search (in front of Outlook Address Book).

I know it must be something simple that I'm missing.

As a work around, I was going to set up Act as my email client, but Act doesn't like Gmail's insistence on SSL connection and ports (995,465) in the incoming and smtp servers.

Any other ideas to get Outlook to record history to my Act contact records?

Thank-you in advance!
Rich
Platinum Elite Contributor

Case is solved!

The problem was that

C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\act.outlook.service.exe

was not running and, for some unknown reason, is not being started by ACT!

I put it in my programs to start automatically when Windows starts and everything works fine now.

Mike,  Both the article you cite are about Outlook.  The question is about Gmail.  Perhaps the question should be more direct.  Is there any way to get ACT to communicate on ports 995 [POP3 incoming] and 465 [SMTP outgoing] using SSL?  This should be pretty simple for a company the size of SAGE and it would enable a email from a major player.
Nickel Super Contributor

Currently, ACT Email will not connect to any email system, such as Gmail, using non-default ports. The email carrier must use ports 110 and 25.

As a workaround, you could set up Gmail to work with either Outlook Express or Outlook and integrate ACT with either one of them.