Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Basic Backup

Basic Backup

When you back up Act, is there a problem with where the data is stored or can I simply back up the act folder?  My fields are designed and the data I collect is unique. 

Thanks sincerely,

John Kloempken

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Basic Backup

To backup your Act! database you will need to use the built in Backup function (File > Backup > Database).  This will create a zip file that can then be copied to any backup media (disk or flash memory stick).  You can also set up a scheduled backup by using the Act! Scheduler, which can be accessed from the Act! Tools menu.

For instructions on the Backup and Restore functions visit this link: How to Backup and Restore an Act! database

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Super Contributor

Be sure to read the referenced info and do not attempte to manually copy your Act! files in explorer as you potentially could damage your  datafiles...

Protect yourself & sleep better at night!  By ALSO making a COPY of your ACT database (A WORKING COPY). The feature is available in ACT. Give it a different name. Also, downloading TrueCrypt on a portable drive and saving your COPY of your database to the encrypted partition adds  significantly greater security.  With a system lockup, major Virus or harddrive failure; just load your ACT program on the new computer and Open the COPY of the database and you will be up and running.  Since the days of DOS and recently with ACT 2010,  I have had massive problems with using a BACKUP file when going from one computer to another (especially with different Operating Systems). If you only rely on BACKUP/RESTORE and can't get it to work you have a huge problem with virtually no alternative. The COPY of the database has always worked for me.