Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backups....again

Copper Contributor

Backups....again

I have read a bunch of posts regarding the backup issue and the .adf and alf files (mostly answered by Mike in Aus.). But I am still a little unsure of what we should be doing.

We use ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 1 (3 users, seperate server) and we are doing a nightly backup, but get the same adf and alf file not closed errors.

Is there a way to automate the shutdown of the SQL server, backup then restart the server....I am worried that all the backups we are doing will leave us in a hole if we actually have an issue.

I saw there is a batch file for closing the sql server, but I am not sure if that can be added to an automated routine/schedule

Can anyone shed any light on what we should be doing.

Thanks

Bob

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Backups....again

Hello Bob,
Are you using the Standard or Premium for Workgroups version of ACT! 2007?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Sorry Greig - I should have noted that ....standard.

[ Edited ]

If you are using a backup application to backup your files, then you will not be able to make a backup of the ACT! data file while SQL is running. Some backup programs have the ability to run pre-backup and post-backup tasks, which could be used to turn SQL off and back on. You may be able to run the batch file to stop/start SQL prior to and after the time the backup is supposed to happen using Windows scheduled services. Unfortunately, I can't offer you assistance with that, but you may want to look at that on your own. I believe you can find it under Scheduled Tasks in the Control Panel.

The reason I asked if you have Standard or Premium, is that the Premium version of 2007 has the ACT! Scheduler, which can be used to run automatic backups (and other tasks) in ACT!. In the current versions of ACT!, this tool is available in the standard (Pro) and Premium products.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the response, I would really like to automate the process, if that was possible.

Until I get a response from someone else on possible automation. How do I stop the SQL server and then restart it manually? I think I am on borrowed time since we must not have backed up ACT for 2 years now ;-)

Bob

[ Edited ]

- Click your Windows Start button. Click Run (XP, Server 2003) or go to Search box on the bottom of the Start menu (Vista, Win 7) and type services.msc

- In the services windows, locate SQL Server (ACT7). Stop this service. This will allow manipulation of your database file (.adf)

Have you been doing backups in ACT! through File > Backup > Database? The backup files (.zip) can be copied without stopping SQL.

Greig Hollister