Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup to second new machine question.

Copper Contributor

Backup to second new machine question.

I have Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, Hot Fix 7 on WIndows 7.

I understand I can run my ACT! program on up to three devices.

I therefore have been trying to install my program and current database also on my wife's computer (also Windows 7) so that if ever my computer crashes, dies, or whatever, I will be able to continue on hers until I replace mine.

I installed my ACT! Pro 2012 program okay from the original CD disk but need to know an answer to this question before I try to go any further:

What ORDER should I follow in updating ACT!?  

What hot fixes do I need to install in what order AND should I first install my current database or first get ACT! updated???

Or does it matter not at all what ORDER to do these things in?

Thank you in advance  for any guidance on this issue!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Backup to second new machine question.

hi,

first, both pc´s need to have exactly the same ACT version / Hotfix version.

then, instead of putting a backup on the second pc, i would recommend to consider the Sync instead, this would take care, that you always have the latest changes on the backup computer.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17536/~/how-to-use-the-sage-act!-network-synchroniza...

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/02/sharing-act-network-or-sync.html

regards

Ingo Lange

www.crmaddon.com

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your positive intention for a suggestiion, Ingo.

However that is truly much more complicated than I believe I can handle.  Just for starters I have dynamic IP and have no intention of messing with that lifeline to my internet business.  Too easy to really get messed up there I am afraid.

All I want to do is to set up my ACT! program on my wife's computer so that if mine crashes I can install the most current Backup file (I backup daily to a cloud backup service) and continue then to work on hers until I do the same thing back on MY eventually restored/replaced computer.

After all, if my computer died right now that is what I would have to do anyway, install ACT! in a new computer and then restore my compressed Backup to get back up and running, right?

The only difference is that I would (probably weekly) walk over to my wife's computer and do the same thing with my current Backup file.

So my question still is if it matters whether ot not what order I set things up:  What hotfixes in what order do I need to to do and do I need to wait until the program is fully updated before I restore my Backup database or not.?

I assume most veteran ACT! users know about these steps and whether the order makes any difference or not.

But sadly I really am not ready to try to Sych across the internet.  This looks incredibly complicated and fraught with ways for me to goof it up.

I just want to have my ACT! program ready and waiting on a backup computer if disaster ever strikes.

I am just a small business owner with no employees.  

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi,

yes you are right you just need to restore the backup (option restore as), only when you purchase a new computer, it will probably have windows 8.1 installed, in that case my strong recomendation is to consider a upgrade to ACT16.1   ACT2012 will run on windows 8.1 but i.e. office2013 is not supported, and also act2012 is not recomended to use a OS higher then windows7

the sync is something that can run via the internet, but when the computer is allways/sometimes in the office then you can also sync localy. (no need to handle internet sync).

in any case, there are a lot of acc´s (like us) who offer remote support, so you may also want to consider to hire an acc for 30 min (up to an hour) and this setup can be done in this time frame (if both computers are at the same location)

regards

Ingo Lange

www.crmaddon.com

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

Thank you, Ingo.

I am still just trying to find someone who can answer my primary question though.

Again for anyone reading this, I want to set up ACT! 2012 on another Windows 7 machine.

Do I need to FIRST install JUST the same Hotfix I currently have BEFORE I restore the compressed backup file?

Thanks to anyone who can please assist me with this question so I don't screw things up here!Smiley Surprised

Platinum Elite Contributor

The machine you are restring to must be at the same or later revision level including hotfixes. You will also need to do a reatore as and give the database a different name on the second machine. If you plan to do this on a regular (daily?) basis you should consider database synchronization.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thank you very much, Roy!  Great!  I am almost there now!!  Smiley Very Happy

To summarize your answer,  I need to install any upgrades (Hotfixes, etc.) on thenew computer FIRST.

Then I do a "restore as" for the Backup file but give it the database NEW NAME.

That leaves only one last part of the puzzle to solve.

Since I cannot access the upgrade/hotfix site with my old ACT! program (I am told I am up to date) I only need now to know HOW MANY "upgrades/hotfixes I need to do to get the new ACT! to the same revision level as the old ACT!

I currently have Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, Hot Fix 7 .

So when I go to upgrade the new ACT! what do I do to be sure I have installed everything to the same revision level?

Is there a sequence of upgrades I need to go through or is there just one "current" one that does the job?

Is there somewhere I can go that will tell me this if the answer isn't a simple one?

Thanks again for you very kind advice and assistance!!  Smiley Happy

The ACT! knowledge base is a good resource. Help and About ACT! will tell you the version level. In most cases install the latest hotfix and it will include all lower hot fixes.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thank you again, Roy.

Is there a URL I can access that shows the available hotfix/upgrade downloads available?

When I try to access that information through my ACT! program it only tells me I am already up to date but nothin more, a dead end.

I have struggled to search for this information on the knowledge base but evidently have not been lucky enough to find the precise combination of search words to actually find it.

What I have is Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, Hot Fix 7 .

That would make me GUESS that I need to first install a "Version 14" unless the most current Hotfix actually does all of that.

I know these sequences for installation can be critical in a program as complex as ACT! has become.

Check the downloads option at act.com.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129