Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup terminating instantly w/error message- ACT! Pro 2012

Backup terminating instantly w/error message- ACT! Pro 2012

[ Edited ]

Trying to apply the new update and when I go to back up existing database I get the enclosed error message.

I've tried backing up to HD, as well as to server.  No strange punctuation in database name (just ACT2012).  Thoughts?  Work arounds?  Thanks!

[Edit: resized image]

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Backup terminating instantly w/error message- ACT! Pro 2012

Hello J Manley,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! User Community. This is an error associated with SQL Server 2008 R2. Please see the following Knowledgebase article regarding this error:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2814...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks, Greig: I'll play around with it with my IT guy and see if this works. Either way I will follow through and post the outcome.

[ Edited ]

Greig:  Thanks for the prompt reply.  I was able to run the batch file successfully, but now when I run the update it tells me I need to free up space on my C Drive.  I have close to half a terabyte free on my c drive.

ACT Update Unpack.jpg

Copper Super Contributor

That sounds like a multiple of 4 issue. Either empty your recycle bin or use up more hard drive space, and that error message should go away.
Bronze Contributor

Sometimes another alternative to this is to copy the update file 4 or 5 times to your local machine as this will change the sape and it should then run. It is a Microsoft installer issue BTW

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Try these options, reboot your machine, then retry the update:
- Delete user temporary files
- Delete all files in this directory: C:\Windows\Prefetch
- Empty your Recycle Bin

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.