Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup overwrite

Backup overwrite

Dear All

I search for overwritting Act scheduled backup, Is there any option for this?
Also if the backup is incomplete, is there any thing from ACT can send me email or alert for this to repeat the backup.

Thanks in Advance.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Backup overwrite

Scheduled backups and maintenance are only options in the Premium version. You could create a BAT file like:
REM Change the SET Paramaters as appropriate
SET ACTSourceFolder="C:\Act\Database"
SET ACTDestinationFolder="D:\Backups\Act"
SET XcopyOptions=/M /E /C /H /O /Y /I
REM
REM - Stop ACT Service
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
REM
REM - Perform copy
XCOPY %ACTSourceFolder% %ACTDestinationFolder% %XcopyOptions%
REM
REM - Restart ACT Service
NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7
END
With the SQL engine stopped, you can use anything to copy/backup the database and supplemental files. You could replace the XCOPY with a command line ZIP or other back-up utility.

Then have the BAT file run from the Windows scheduler. With more effort, it would be possible to track and send errors.

Thank you for your support, but this batch does not run backup it copy only the file I pass to it.
I need to backup and overwrite the existing backup daily because when I use the ACT! Scheduler daily backup it creates new file for the backup every day, by the increase in the database it full the hard drive and I manually remove the old files, also I need to send message when the backup is broken for any reason to my e-mail.

Thanks In Advance.
Platinum Elite Contributor

The batch file can overwrite the existing backup... other functions could easily be added to the BAT file.