Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup failure with all Databases - ACT 2012 Premium

Copper Contributor

Backup failure with all Databases - ACT 2012 Premium

I have just installed ACT! Premium 2012 after following instructions of removing 2012 Beta-Refresh. I am unable to Backup any of my databases... I have even attempted to create a new database and back it up with no luck. Attached is the error message that comes up.
Sincerely,

Howard L. Johnson
Error Juris Nocet Network
Copper Contributor

Re: Backup failure with all Databases - ACT 2012 Premium

The error is occurring due to a bug in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (R2). Microsoft has claimed to have fixed this in SP1 of SQL 2008 but unfortunately we were not able to include this as part of the release because it wasn't formally released until late July when product development for ACT! had completed.  The fix in SP1 would prevent this problem from occurring but it isn't corrective once a database is in this state. However, we do have a solution for you.

Go to C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows

In the folder there are two files that will correct your problem

• Express_BackupFix.bat
  • Standard_BackupFix.bat

One is for SQL Express, the other is for all other versions of SQL Server.  I'm assuming that you just installed ACT! and let the installer do it's thing and you are not an admin supporting  a 30+ installation and installed SQL Server Standard. That being the case you will use the Express_BackupFix.bat

After you locate the bat file for your version, perform these steps:

• Close all apps, including ACT
  • Reboot your PC
  • On Windows Vista or Windows 7 right click on Express_BackupFix.bat and select 'Run As Administrator' a new DOS window will open
  • When asked, type in the name of the ‘problem’ database and press ENTER
  • When you see ‘Press any key to continue…’ press ENTER, which will close the command window
  • Restart ACT
  • Confirm that you can now backup the database

To prevent the problem from occurring again you can install SP1 of SQL 2008 through automatic windows updates or you can get a copy here It’s available at:  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26727

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Keith Saccuci
ACT! R&D
Platinum Super Contributor

Knowledgebase Article 28161 has been created to address this error.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thank you, this worked on 4 of my 5 databases, the last one I ended up having to create a new database, and copy all of my data from the original database and then backup the new database.
Sincerely,

Howard L. Johnson
Error Juris Nocet Network