Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Backup fails

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Backup fails

[ Edited ]

It comes down to how important your data is, how often you backup, and how quickly you think you'll identify any errors that might require a data recovery or roll-back. If space isn't an issue, save as many as you can.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Very important, but I have never had to roll back or recover from a damaged DB. That said, I have another client using ACT who had a disk crash and did not have a DB backup. She only had the live DB copy on an external drive. Sage support was able to rebuild the DB, but it cost her a pretty penny. Thanks for your assistance.
Highlighted

This post describes my situation so possibly you can help. I've backup to a plug in external drive, 80% free, for years without issue. Main Drive has plenty of free space too. I typically keep 5-6 back ups before deleting the oldest one. After reinstalling ACT this summer after a crash, I started getting the same  exception error message .... Xceed.Zip.ZipArchive.  But it indicates a path on the internal main C drive Zip File: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp.3A4D.tmp. The "AppData" folder does not exist when I search it.

Somewhere I found that I needed to delete all temp files in Windows and that seemed to work but after it's hit or miss. There is one small windows temp text file being used by officeclicktorun (2 of those files as well) that can not be deleted. The text file is named after my Act Database but again it's only 339KB so I can't see that being the issue.

I at a loss as I try to back up weekly but it's a 2+ hour backup and the fail is always near the end. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Try using CCleaner to get rid of temp files.  You can get the free version at ccleaner.com

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

Try using CCleaner to get rid of temp files.  You can get the free version at ccleaner.com.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Highlighted

Before backing up, I currently clean up using the Internet Options Tool for the browsing history first with every option checked then use Norton 360 file clean up that wipes out the Windows temp and what is left with the Internet Explorer temp files. I rather not add another program unless you think the 2 clicktorun and 1 text temp file could be causing my issue with the backup.

After the last failed backup attempt I used the Norton clean up and there were over 30,000 temp files that were deleted. None were there before my backup. It seems Act backup is creating all those.

Highlighted
Employee

Try clearing the %temp% folder and check if that is working.

Highlighted

Is that a true folder that stores temp files as I don't see that I have it? Unsure how to search for just folders but when I search %temp% I get 900+ files all over the place. Many in the Act attachments folder, specific customer folders, some "setting content" files like deleting cookies or browsing history that have no location listed. The ones in my Act files folders are in many customer folders & PDF's that I use but the paths  If there's other temp file folders hidden that may be where I need to go please advise?

When originally investigated the issue I was getting in the error notice Xceed.FileSystem.DiskFile which still appears on some failed backups. Looking that up pointed to too little disk space but that's not an issue on either the internal C or external F drive. I send the backup to directly to the F drive. During Act backup does it make temp files on the C drive that don't get erased then send it to my external F drive overloading something?

Highlighted
Employee

[ Edited ]
Hi

You can.go to the temp location by opening the run command and typing %temp% and click OK.

Now even if you are saving your backup to a external drive , the backup while getting created uses the space in your system drive I.e, mostly c drive as a cache but again it is only temporary.

Hence it is necessary to have free space in c drive even if you are saving the backup to external drive.

It is like the backup is first created in c drive and then moves to external drive. But once the original backup is done in external then the temp files in c drive will be gone.

It is very similar to copying files, for example; if you wanna copy a file from x drive to y drive then when copying file it first saves it in c drive cache/temp and then only sends it to y drive. But in c as I said it is just a temp file created and won't sit there permanently.
Highlighted
Employee

Please check this link as it explains the same

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34367/kw/Backup

Thank you