Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup fails

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Backup fails

This is a four user system. ACT 2013 runs on a dedicated computer running Win 8.1. Three other computers access the DB over LAN. 

When I set up the system last summer, I scheduled a backup every evening. The first few days the backup ran. I just noticed that it has not run since.

The scheduled backup posts the error: 

Machine Name: \\SERVER
Type of Event: Backup with Attachments.
Task Frequency: Daily, every weekday(M-F)
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. An IO exception occurred while reading from or writing to the zip file.

When I run a manual backup (in ACT on the server computer), I see the error:

Access to the path "\\server\xxxx\backup\act!yyyy.zip is denied. xxx is the shared folder name for the database. yyy is the actual database name. 

Since it worked a few times, I would think the entire setup is OK. What am I missing?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobroosth
‎11-10-2015 06:56 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: Backup fails

I think I fixed the problem. I found a number of very large (mutl-gb) zip files in the backup folder. I could not open any of them, but was able to delete them. My most recent attempt to do a manual backup succeeded. I'll know tomorrow if the scheduled backup ran OK.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Bob,

Couple of things to try:

1. Are you running Act as an administrator?
  2. On the path to the backup \\server\xxxx\backup\act!yyyy.zip, could you try and define an absolute path, i.e. C:\...
Copper Contributor

Thanks for suggestion.

1.  Yes, the user account is an administrator.

2.  Can you remind me where that path is set?

Administrator

For manual backups, you set the path when you perform the backup. File > Back Up > Database
For scheduled backups, edit the scheduled task in Tools > Act Scheduler
Copper Contributor

For manual backup, the destination is c:\users\...... The location of the database is not a choice. I have a feeling that being \\server\\ is the issue, even though \\server is the network name of the computer running the backup.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobroosth
‎11-10-2015 06:56 PM
Copper Contributor

I think I fixed the problem. I found a number of very large (mutl-gb) zip files in the backup folder. I could not open any of them, but was able to delete them. My most recent attempt to do a manual backup succeeded. I'll know tomorrow if the scheduled backup ran OK.

Administrator

Please let us know the outcome Bob.
Thanks.
Copper Contributor

The backups are now running. Do you you have any idea how a backup zip file that should be about 40 mb turned into 10 gb?

Administrator

How many attachments and other supplemental files are in your database? Those are also included in backups unless you specify not to include them.

Also make sure you aren't backing up inside the {database name}-database files location, as that would also then be backed up again in the next backup.
It's also worth checking within the {database name}-database files\Backup folder and making sure it's empty.
Copper Contributor

That was it. The Backup folder was inside {database name}-database files. I do not recall specifically putting it there. It must have been a default.In any event, the Backups folder is not on the same level and I see another backup ran last night. I currently have the process saving the last five backups. Is there any good reason to keep more than that?