Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup - Sync

Copper Contributor

Backup - Sync

I use a sync utility that backs all changed files on my system to a backup storage device. However, due to some issue with Act and SQL, it will not sync some of the Act files for my database. Any suggestions?

I do also backup Act within Act and copy/sync that file but I also like to just sync unzipped files as well.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Backup - Sync

Your Act! database files (ALF and ADF) are locked by the SQL program.  As a general statement, you will not be able to copy them.  The File > Backup > Database option is the recommended way to backup your data. 

The only way to 'copy' the database files is to stop the service 'SQL Server (Act7)'.  With this service stopped, SQL releases it's lock on the files.  Should you decide to attempt this, you will need to ensure that no one is in the database when the service is stopped as it will break the connection to the database and can cause loss of any unsaved data.

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Any time the SQL server is running the attached ACT! database files will be open. Many backup utilities won't copy open files however some will. I use Genie Software Backup Manager 8 and it will backup the open ACT! database files.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thank you both. I've tried stopping the service and while it stops, the copy doesn't take place. Nobody else is in Act since it is a single copy on my laptop. that being said, I'll stick withe traditional backup and then sync that. I've got two steps either way ... stop the service, then sync, or do a backup, then sync. Thanks again.
Bronze Super Contributor

There really is no issue with 'backing up' the Act! backup file.  This is why Sage did it this way.  Cleaner in a lot a ways as it gets the whole database in one file...