Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup Failed & Windows Upgrade

Bronze Contributor

Backup Failed & Windows Upgrade

I started receiving the backup has failed notice the next day after my system upgraded from Windows 8 to Window 8.1 Professional.

I read through the forum on this topic and would like to ask the technical gurus if the windows upgrade had anything to do with it.

Facts you probably need:

1.  Only change in the system betwee a working backup adn a failed is the upgrade from Win 8 to Win 8.1

2.  I deleted the scheduled backup and created a new one

3.  The error is "Failed to log into the database.  The device is not ready

4.  The db is on the C drive

5.  The BU is stored on an external drive

Ideas?  Weekend is coming and I would have time to work on your suggestions.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Backup Failed & Windows Upgrade

Check the Windows Event Viewer and see if there are any messages in there regarding SQL issues.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Contributor

Capture.PNG

This is what I found.  I'm not sure this is what you asked for as I was not familiar with the Windows Event viewer. 

As far as Sql errors, I didn't see any, but then I may have looked in the wroing place.

John Purdy
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Silver Super Contributor

Make sure that you are using a PAD file that properly references the correct database.  Open the PAD file in Notepad and look at the various options.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Bronze Contributor

Looks good to me:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>
<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
<ACTDatabase name="EnPointe3" host="VRT-JPURDY" location="C:\Users\jpurdy\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases" type="Sql" />

As a reminder, the only chanbe is that my system self-updated to Windows 8.1 from 8.0.  Any other ideas?

John Purdy
Silver Super Contributor

Make sure you have access to all of the folders and all the files in those folders.  Also make sure that "SYSTEM" has access to the files too.  I suspect that when you were upgraded that it changed some of the security settings and one of the processes is having a problem accessing some of the files.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Bronze Contributor

Resolved.

I apparently wasn't signed in as administrator when I deleted the old schedule and created a new one. 

Thanks for the suggestions - this community is absolutely the best. 

John Purdy