Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backing up Database / Overwriting a new Database with an old one ACT! Premium 2009 Ver 11.1.182.0 Hotfix 4

Copper Contributor

Backing up Database / Overwriting a new Database with an old one ACT! Premium 2009 Ver 11.1.182.0 Hotfix 4

Hello Everyone,

I recently had to reinstall my OS and I moved the ACT Database (by dragging the folder) to an External Drive. After reinstalling my OS I tried moving the files from the external drive to the Act Database folder created in My Documents on my local drive. However Act wont open the database and gives me all sort of messages from SQL services not activated to something like can't open database because it has not been created on this machine. Anyway, If I restart my computer and then connect the external drive and try opening the Act database file from the saved folder it works fine. I even tried backing up this database (Zipping it through ACT) and saving a copy on my local drive/folder and it just wont work! Act will let me create a new database file on my local machine and open it without any issues.

My question here is, how can I move the Database from the external drive to my Act folder on my local machine? Is there a way I can create a new database and then have the data from the external drive overwrite the one on my local machine?

ACT! Premium 2009 Ver 11.1.182.0 Hotfix 4

1 user on a local machine

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

rtriam

Re: Backing up Database / Overwriting a new Database with an old one ACT! Premium 2009 Ver 11.1.182.0 Hotfix 4

This is most likely occurring because you're trying to use the database PAD file that was copied over from the old machine. When a database is created, the PAD file is created with information on how to access it on the machine that it was created on. If you are on a new machine or a new install of your OS, the name of the machine may have changed as well as the location. What you will need to do is delete that PAD file. Then, Open Act! and when you choose the database you wish to open, click the File type dropdown and choose ADF. 

This will attach your database to SQL and then create a new PAD file. 

In the future, if it's avoidable, it is not recommended that you use this method to move your database in this method. It is recommended that you keep backups that are created in Act! to use to move the database. For more information, see the following knowledgebase article: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19818

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com