Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backing up ACT! and ACT! vs. RealHound (for Commercial R.E.)

Backing up ACT! and ACT! vs. RealHound (for Commercial R.E.)

I have a few questions. 

1) when doing a tape back up of ACT! is there a difference between ACT! 2005 and ACT! 2006?  We've been told because it has a SQL code it is not backing up, how can we make sure it IS backing up? 

2)Does anyone know anything about RealHound?  Why is ACT! better than RealHound, and why shoule one stay w/ ACT! Over RealHound, if you're in the Commercial Real Estate Business?  I was told there are ways to create property fields in the ACT! database, but I'm comparing notes now between ACT! and RealHound, and just looking for real good reasons why one program is better than the other.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer or input on either of my questions!

K.E.
Copper Contributor

Re: Backing up ACT! and ACT! vs. RealHound (for Commercial R.E.)

Most backup software require you to have something called the SA password to be able to backup a SQL database, basically its the password to your data tables so that the information can be copied to your backup. As SQL is constantly accessing your files it is unlikely that you backup software will be able to copy the files and you probably have not been taking any backups of your database.

The SA password is not available for Act unless you purchase it.

To backup without the SA you will need to stop the Act SQL service (MSSQL$ACT7) on the machine hosting the database to allow the backup software to access the files and copy the data. Once the backup is completed you will need to restart the service, if you don't your database will not be able to be accessed.

To view the service : Start > Run > Services.msc and look for the MSSQL$ACT7 service. You can manually stop and start the service by right clicking on it and choosing the option, remeber though none of your databases will be able to be accessed when the service is stopped.

Most backup systems include tools for creating batch files to stop services like this, speak to you backup software provider for more info to see if it is possible.

Alternatively you can manually take backups ( File > Backup > Database) and save them to an area where you backup software backs up the directories.
Copper Contributor

This is a relatively old message, but we'll see if my reply gets through.  I use both Act and Realhound extensively and have been in commercial RE brokerage for 22 years.  I'd be happy to describe the differences to you.  It goes well beyond a post here however.  Please feel free to give me a jingle and I can go over that with you.  I also have a Commercial RE CRM blog which I have started to discuss this very topic.

Robert

===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer
Loyal Listener

Robert,

Can you give us a link to the blog?

Copper Contributor

This is the address:

http://crecrm.blogspot.com/

===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer