Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backing Up database and Deleting contacts

Tuned Listener

Backing Up database and Deleting contacts

Sorry i'm new to ACT! so this might have the simplest answer in the world..I just can't work it out. Any help would be appreciated.

I've just backed up our ACT! Database (2007.10) which was saved in a seperate folder as a zip file. I then went back into the original database and started to delete old contacts (obviously the back up was just incase we ever needed the information back) however i've just gone back to the backup file which i created to find one of the contacts i deleted and it cannot be found. The backup database is identical to the current database, even though i've just deleted 80 contacts. I would have thought the backup would create a copy of the original exactly as it is at the time and then any changes made to the original after that will affect the backup?

Thanks

Bronze Contributor

Re: Backing Up database and Deleting contacts

Good morning Samantha.

You said you went back to the backup.  How did you unzip the file? 

I am not an engineer, but it seems to me that you would have used ACT to restore the backup.  Make sure you use the option to "restore as" so that it will create a seperate database. 

Then you can log into the "restored as" db and export contacts to your original db.

I've learned that you always let ACT work with the zip file and do not "extract" as you might be comfortable with other zipped files.

One other thought, if you follow the default prompts for backing up, you will be writing over the last backup after you say OK to the warning.  Personally, I put backups on an external disk and save a copy for each day of the week. 

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Tuned Listener

Hi John,

From the sounds of it I may be something wrong but I haven't got a clue what. When I backed up the db I went - file-back up - database - it then gave me a new folder and file name so I clicked ok. To access the backed up db I opened the zipfolder ACT!Database.zip was then given 2 folders and 2 files: Database-database files, Supplemental Abruption, Backup stage manifest and LIGWO.

I opened Database-database files which then gives me another 6 folders:

Attachments, Backup, Layouts, Queries, Reports and Templates

From there I opened Backup which has 4 more files:

ACT-SVR_master, ACT-SVR_model, ACT-SVR_Database and Restore_PAD

I can open anyone of these just by double clicking which automatically loads ACT! but they are all the same and all have the contacts missing that Id eleted after I backed up the db.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks

Bronze Contributor

Good morning again Samantha.

Working with Backups has to be done with the ACT program.  There are articles in the ACT knowledgebase on working with backups.

To use the backup to create a 2nd copy of the db with the original data, you will need to follow the prompts for "restore as" by clicking on | File | Restore | Database | Restore As | ...

You will give it a new name.  Once done you will have the current db and the original with a new name.  You might want to call it "FileName-Orig".

Good luck.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013