Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backing Up To External Hard Drive

Backing Up To External Hard Drive

I have been running backups daily from ACT! 2011, but I have been having a few problems. I keep telling the scheduler to save the backups to an external hard drive. If I check back to confirm the change, it shows that it will backup to the external hard drive. However, when the backup actually runs, it always switches the save location back to the default setting.

Is there anyway I can fix this? I cannot seem to tell what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance, 

Sean

Bronze Contributor

Re: Backing Up To External Hard Drive

I have noticed this on other clients systems especially if the external drive is disconnected and then reconnected. Generally I then recommend haveing a batch file to copy the backups from the local drive to the external drive. You can then put this into Windows scheduler

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Thank you for your reply. I have a few follow up questions. I am currently attempting to use a sync program to transfer the backup .zip files from the local drive to an external hard drive. However, it says that those .zip files are protected. If I go and manually change the permissions on each one, they will copy. I am looking for an automated process. Is this what you were recommending? I am not very familiar with batch files.

Thanks again.

Bronze Contributor

That may indicate that the folder you are backing up to is read only so first change the permissions on the folder and then your program should be able to transfer the files

Paul Buchtmann

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I wish that was the case. I have checked the permissions. ACT seems to make the files with restricted permissions. Once I change the file on the .zip itself, it works. When I do that, I do not need to change the permissions of the folder I am backing up to. This leads me to believe it has to be a problem with the file itself.

Bronze Contributor

Have not see this myself and often use something like synch toy to copy the files to another location using windows scheduler to run synchtoy.

Can you look further at the file properties to see if it is being marked read only by Windows or do you have any compression on the drive?

Paul Buchtmann