Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

BackUp with Attachments - NOT to be Trusted

Nickel Contributor

BackUp with Attachments - NOT to be Trusted

[ Edited ]

Well, if it's not one thing, it's another with this software program.

I had a feeling that when I did a backup WITH attachments, that not all the attachments would be backed up. Lo and behold my suspicions were correct. I tried with 2 documents in the database folder (tied to the document tab) so I could see what was backed up.  Only 1 backed up, the other is somewhere in outer space.

How can this software be trusted to do anything right?  I am so fed up with this and I keep on complaining about it, but come back to it every once in a while only to raise my blood pressure some more.

How can I trust this piece of software to backup all my important documents?  I can't. That's why I don't use it that much nor do I recommend it to anyone I know no matter how worse off they might be. Why throw them into another fiery pit?  It's not worth my reputation.

I just don't understand how a company can do this to it's customer base. Fix this software once and for all! I'd rather use a notebook than this.

Pat

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-16-2010 09:59 PM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: BackUp with Attachments - NOT to be Trusted

Perhaps you could offer some further information:

• Act! version
  • Server operating system, with service packs
  • How the system is set up - sync?  shared database?
  • How many attachments are in the folder as per Windows?
  • <Etc.>

Nickel Contributor

Re: BackUp with Attachments - NOT to be Trusted

[ Edited ]

ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

Windows XP Pro/ Service Pack 3

No sync or shared database- Single user

Two attachments are in the folder

The reason why there is only two documents in the folder is because when I added the hotfix 1, it broke all the links and all the attachments in the folder disappeared. The documents were still visible in the document tabs, but the links broke and the attachments in the folders were gone! When I clicked on any attachment after I added the hotfix, an error indicated there was no file to open!!!!

So now when I have the time to experiment with this and really analyze what this program does, it gets me more enraged.

I am lucky I actually kept a mirror folder with all the files or else everything would have been gone. How's that for reliability?  That's the whole story I saved everyone the grief from. Now I have to add them all back some 10,000+ files. And thank goodness I kept them in folders that mirrored the tree structure of my Groups/Companies. Could you imagine the rage if I had to wade through 10,000+ files from that slop that Sage calls an attachment folder?

And the real kicker is that it takes sometime 3-5 minutes(and sometimes longer if I do a large file drop into the Group Layout document tab) to drag/drop into ACT!. It's slow as molasses on a cold day. It takes FOREVER to drag/drop 20+ files into the document tab.  It will take me days to do this all over again. Who's going to pay me for this? How can anything that Sage does with this program be trusted?

Now, how could I re-import a backed up database when that cannot be trusted either? The attachments aren't there. It's not reliable.  Get my drift?  Vicious cycle created.

Finally, it is SHAMELESS that you cannot connect the folder to the document tab without having to go through that rigamarole of setting up a folder link. What if I had thousands of tree nodes in my company/company layouts? You expect me to spend another 3-7 days just to go through that process?

Thanks ACT! Thanks Sage! You're addon companies aren't giving you a good reputation when you have to spend nearly $200 for a revamped document tab.

Pat

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-17-2010 02:19 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-17-2010 02:47 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-17-2010 03:04 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-17-2010 03:05 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-17-2010 03:09 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-17-2010 03:27 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-17-2010 03:44 PM