Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Back-up software has screwed up Act or SQL?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Back-up software has screwed up Act or SQL?

About a week ago I installed a USB external hard drive (Seagate Free Agent Go Flex Desk) on my file server (all PCs running Win XP) to keep backups of my important company files. I used to have a "Mirra" backup drive doing it and never had any trouble, but it stopped working some time ago.

The next day after getting the Seagate drive set up, my employees and I encountered the "Failed to open connection to the database", or some such, error when trying to open Act 2009 into our company file. Rebooting the server fixed it and we got in with no problem. Then it happened again the next morning.

I realized I may have made a mistake setting the backup software to back up my Act files, when I had the Mirra it actually refused to do so, and some google searching on the matter suggested to me that touching the Act database file with external software like that would disrupt the SQL server program. So I removed the Act folder from the backup que. Still, the next morning, I had to reboot the computer in order or anybody to get into Act.

So I unplugged the backup drive. Still had to reboot to use Act. Then I uninstalled the backup software completely. And still, this morning I had to reboot the computer to use Act.

Clearly I have disrupted something, and I don't have enough experience with SQL servers to know quickly how to fix it. Having to reboot the server each morning is getting us by, but I don't like making everybody wait on that and I never had to before. Does anybody know what I have to dig into to make this stop, and if I dare reinstall this backup drive afterwards? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ray Kremer
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Back-up software has screwed up Act or SQL?

Hello Ray,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

It sounds like the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service is being stopped - which prevents access to the database.  Since the reboot allows you access to the database, it appears the service is set up correctly but something stops it later. 

If you get the same message again - you can check the Services screen (Windows Start > Run > 'Services.msc') and make sure 'SQL Server (ACT7)' it's Status is 'Started'.  If blank, right click on the service and select Start.  Then access the database.

You may want to check your Windows Updates for any MS Sql updates.  If there are any listed, remove them from the list.  Windows Updates cannot access the ACT7 instance - it will stop the service but fail to update and will not restart the service.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Here's the exact message:
The database (filename) could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.
Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide.

Before rebooting the server this morning I tested Quickbooks to make sure the problem is localized to Act and isn't the server dropping entirely off the network. And yes, it is just Act. I may start using remote desktop from home to try and figure out exactly when during then night the problem occurs.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ray Kremer
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Ray,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

It sounds like the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service is being stopped - which prevents access to the database.  Since the reboot allows you access to the database, it appears the service is set up correctly but something stops it later. 

If you get the same message again - you can check the Services screen (Windows Start > Run > 'Services.msc') and make sure 'SQL Server (ACT7)' it's Status is 'Started'.  If blank, right click on the service and select Start.  Then access the database.

You may want to check your Windows Updates for any MS Sql updates.  If there are any listed, remove them from the list.  Windows Updates cannot access the ACT7 instance - it will stop the service but fail to update and will not restart the service.

Greg Martin
Sage

Ah, I didn't realize that the SQL stuff lives in Services, that makes it easy to check.

As it turns out, installing the back up hard drive may have just been a total coincidence of timing. You were right, it was Windows updates, which I had set to run nightly.

In Services, SQL Server (Act 7) was running fine, but SQL Server Director Helper was disabled, and refused to start manually, throwing an error that suggested checking the system event log. And right there in the log, every night, installation failure for Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892).

A google search on 'KB970892 act' gives pages that suggest some workarounds to actually get the thing to install. I shall try them, and if they don't work I will go with your idea of just killing it.

Thanks for the help.

After sitting and watching things happen, I found that is actually was the SQL Server (Act 7) that was being stopped by the attempted SQL update. The SQL Server Director Helper just plain refuses to go at all, before or after the failed update, and in fact on boot-up there's a error noted in the event log about it. Doesn't stop Act from loading though, so I suppose I'll leave it be.

As for the KB970892 update itself, I decided to save the "edit the registry" fix for last, and after the other suggested fixes didn't pan out, that is indeed what I went with and the update indeed went through just fine afterwards.

Oddly, Microsoft's page for KB970892 says it was released over a year ago, but apparently it only came down the pipe to my computer last month. Go figure.

So, problem solved, I've put Windows Updates back on nightly, and I will reinstall that backup drive the first chance I get.