Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Avoid Changing Contact Data by Accident

Avoid Changing Contact Data by Accident

I have been an Act! user for years, and love it.

I'm currently using Act! 17.2.210.0 Hot Fix 2. I try to keep my 2,756 contact entries clean, but I have tried to lookup a contact that I know is in my database and it can't find it, so I do an advanced search like "contains" and I eventually find it.

The problem is that I must have accidentally modified the contact when I thought I was typing in Outlook or another program.

Here is my question, is there a way I could put the database in "read only" mode that would not allow me to make changes to data, then easily change to "edit" mode to change or add a contact and back to read only? I would still want to be able to write a letter or fax and make appointments, just not change the contact info.

I am the only user of my database and therefore have Administrative privilege and don't want to lose that privilege.

See below how I accidentally added a phone number to the end of the contact's last name, making a lookup tough.

Act Accident.jpg 

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Avoid Changing Contact Data by Accident

I'll presume that your search is mainly on the contact detail view and that you search by choosing the right-click menu accessed with your mouse cursor in the field i.e Lookup. I see that you are running Act! Pro which doesn't have the capability of assigning fields as Read Only as does Act! Premium, however you could create another field perhaps named Contact Search to which you did a bulk copy of all contact records contact field data to. [Refer Edit Copy Field function in the Edit menu].   

You use that field to run you search on so that if you did inadvertently type into the field you have not affected the original Contact field hence if a search failed to pull the data from the Contact Search field you created, you could refer back to the Contact field to repeat the search.

If you were to run Act! Premium you have other options, you would need to upgrade to Act! Premium to do so.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Gleo,

Interesting thought, to make a new search field. Then when the contact screen shows up, I'll notice if I have inadvertently messed it up. OK, that might work. However if I make a bulk copy, and I find out that one or two the contact fields are already wrong, could I just fix the new field manually?

Would the Premium version allow me to kind of lock fields and unlock fields, so I know when I'm changing, and not just messing it up? I could ask my boss to upgrade it's been a couple of years.

Thanks for your response!

Bronze Elite Contributor

dbisbee wrote:

Gleo,

Interesting thought, to make a new search field. Then when the contact screen shows up, I'll notice if I have inadvertently messed it up. OK, that might work. However if I make a bulk copy, and I find out that one or two the contact fields are already wrong, could I just fix the new field manually?

Yes. 

Would the Premium version allow me to kind of lock fields and unlock fields, so I know when I'm changing, and not just messing it up? I could ask my boss to upgrade it's been a couple of years.

Yes, Premium has the ability to assign Read Only to fields that you select. However you can't readily toggle on/off Read Only it needs to be done through the Manager User utility. Generally people search by Company or Contact so just provide the facility to those fields I suggest      

Thanks for your response!

Graeme Leo

Bronze Elite Contributor

Another option with Premium is that you can create additional Browse users without need to purchase additional Premium licence.So you could logon as a Browse user which will lock all fields from editing.     

Graeme Leo