Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Automatically creating new contacts in ACT from outlook

Automatically creating new contacts in ACT from outlook

Hi all

I am looking to automatically insert a new customer into ACT from emails coming in from Outlook.  For example, I do have the outlook connector so we can manually click "quick attach" or "create act contact", but the issue appears that we have to click that on each email to create the contact, and some are not doing so, which means the contact is not getting into ACT.

Wondering if there's a solution to automatically create the contact.  I did setup the rule http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23020 however, it does not appear to be 'creating contacts if they are not found" as it shows on point 12.  it seems like it's only tagging the incoming emails to existing ACT contacts.

In talking to ACT support they said the only way is to click the 'quick attach', but I'm hoping someone knows of a better way or a 3rd party add-on.

thanks in advance.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Automatically creating new contacts in ACT from outlook

Can the contact information to be recorded be directed to one common email address so that you have a person manage the process to avoid the problem of some people not recording? What quantity of contacts need recording per day?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Hi Graeme

So there is no way to automatically create a contact without manual user intervention then?

If not, then the only other issue would be that let say there's 5 people in our office that use ACT then it appears difficult to have one person manage the new contacts to be recorded because we would have to figure out who is in the DB and who is not each time an email comes in--unless there's a way to tell in OUtlook if the user is in ACT or not, but I don't seem to see anything. (eg. a little "star' beside a name to see that they are in ACT or something)

Sean

Bronze Elite Contributor

No, there is a product Web Prospect from Northwoods, www.crmaddons.com that enables you to create a contact automatically from Outlook but the information needs to be available in a particular format, usually people would enter data into a web form that is then emailed for processing in Web Prospect. To overcome duplicate record creation you determine a duplicate criteria, for instance basd on e-mail address. 

Whatever the process, in order for automation to work the presented data needs to be in a recognisable standard format.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Super Contributor

If not, then the only other issue would be that let say there's 5 people in our office that use ACT then it appears difficult to have one person manage the new contacts to be recorded because we would have to figure out who is in the DB and who is not each time an email comes in--

What do you mean by this?

Hi --what I meant by this "If not, then the only other issue would be that let say there's 5 people in our office that use ACT then it appears difficult to have one person manage the new contacts to be recorded because we would have to figure out who is in the DB and who is not each time an email comes in--"

was that Graeme suggested one user in the office be responsible to update contacts etc...and the issue is each person would have their own emails coming into their own outlook (to a remote ACT which is shared/linked to the main ACT), however, one person wouldn't be able to go to each users computer to lookup emails and contacts and update

Bronze Super Contributor

Ok, so I guess is that is why he asked if it could be set up that there was a common email address for these emails - "Info@domain.com" kind of a thing,,,

No it would be each person getting emails into their email box

Bronze Super Contributor