Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Automated Linking of Contacts to Companies during Data Importation?

Automated Linking of Contacts to Companies during Data Importation?

Hi to all!

I am importing data from .txt or from .csv. I can import companies, then contacts, but, although the contacts are imported with a column specifying company name, the imported contact nevertheless is not linked to the (already imported) company - I have to do this manually, which is too time-consuming and mind-numbing (I've tried Smiley Happy ). Any magic wand out there which could get this done automatically? Or am I doing something wrong? Your help would be much appreciated.

Thks. very much.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Automated Linking of Contacts to Companies during Data Importation?

Company Link will do this after the import - http://www.rowcol.co.uk/acatalog/AddOns.html - it can also create and link companies for contacts that currently don't have a company created

Tom

I am having the same issue, after import I have >10000 contacts and >2500 companies, but the contacts are not linked to the companies.  I looked at the third party add-on mentioned in the reply, and that looks like it should work, but I don't think this should be something a user should have to spend more money on (buying third party add-on software to link by company name).  Fundamentally, the issue is that the records' prmary keys don't match.  But we as users of the software would intuitively think that the company name could be used to do this linking... I talked to technical support, with the answer being to link manually on each contact record, and I submitted a feature request to Sage/ACT!.  But in the meantime, does anyone on the forum know how to fix this within the ACT! program as a batch update to the database, keying on Company Name?  Or alternatively, how to format an import to get contacts correctly linked during the import process?

THANKS!
-Larry
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Larry,
You would need to use the SDK to do this.

Tom
Platinum Elite Contributor

ljmetts wrote:
I am having the same issue, after import I have >10000 contacts and >2500 companies, but the contacts are not linked to the companies.  I looked at the third party add-on mentioned in the reply, and that looks like it should work, but I don't think this should be something a user should have to spend more money on (buying third party add-on software to link by company name).  Fundamentally, the issue is that the records' prmary keys don't match.  But we as users of the software would intuitively think that the company name could be used to do this linking... I talked to technical support, with the answer being to link manually on each contact record, and I submitted a feature request to Sage/ACT!.  But in the meantime, does anyone on the forum know how to fix this within the ACT! program as a batch update to the database, keying on Company Name?  Or alternatively, how to format an import to get contacts correctly linked during the import process?

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

EML123 wrote:
I am importing data from .txt or from .csv. I can import companies, then contacts, but, although the contacts are imported with a column specifying company name, the imported contact nevertheless is not linked to the (already imported) company - I have to do this manually, which is too time-consuming and mind-numbing (I've tried Smiley Happy ). Any magic wand out there which could get this done automatically? Or am I doing something wrong? Your help would be much appreciated.

Another option is itImport, which can import contacts and create the companies and link them at the time of import.

Hi,

But how do you associate the contact to an existing company through the import?? Without going one by one...

Thanks

Gargoylez wrote:

Hi,

But how do you associate the contact to an existing company through the import?? Without going one by one...

Thanks

ACT!'s standard import doesn't so that. I do it in itImport