Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Auto Text & Back-up Failure

Auto Text & Back-up Failure

Hello,

I had a hard drive fail recently, so had to reinstall Act Pro 20.0.159.0, update 6. I have two issues:

#1 Wanted to do an Act! update it recommends doing a back-up, but when I do it gives me the following error:

Act Backup Error.JPG

There is a message on this board that says to "Share" the database, which I tried, but I still get the same error. I have rebooted my computer, restarted Act! with nothing else running (that I know of) and even taken off the check mark for "Include Attachments" did the Database Maintenance but can't back up the database. I am not putting in a password. Any suggestions?

#2 When I open up a Word document from inside Act! my auto text I have saved in the Normal.dot do not work, is there another template that Act! uses? I am using Word 2010. Any suggestions for that?

Thank you in advance!

Dave Bisbee

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Auto Text & Back-up Failure

Hi dbisbee,

See this KB - http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33098

You have the following file open...

C;\Users\DBisbee\Documents.....\DBisbee0914.adf

Find it and perhaps delete it.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Administrator

As david says, it's usually due to a file being open in another process. Try closing any other programs that might be 'tying up' files in your database folder.

If this doesn't work, simplest solution is usually to simply restart the PC. If the issue persists even after restarting, check that you've got enough space on your hardrive to create the backup! You usually need around about double the size of the final backup file free, since the backup process copies the files first.

With regards to your second issue - I'm not familiar with using a custom normal.dot - but if you'd like to have a prefilled document, you can create a whole range of customised template using Act! templates from the Write menu.

David, you were right, there were three files that were running in the SQL Server, not easy to close. I went to the SQL Server Manager and closed all files and still had a problem, because if they are running in the SQL server you cannot delete them. I rebooted about 5 times and finally got the back up to take.

Thanks for your help.

Any suggestions for the auto text issue?