Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Auto Fill by Zip

Auto Fill by Zip

I moved to ACT! from a program called Sharkware, which I loved, but was discontinued. One of its standard features was to auto fill City and State when a zip code was entered.  Seems like a very simple feature and doesn't need a data base. Simply duplicate a previously entered City and State after the first one is entered. 

Any idea why this feature does not exist, why it would be an add-on product or how to suggest this to the programmers for a future update?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Auto Fill by Zip

From the volume of codes required to keep updated in any country this is not a simple task. Even in Australia there are over 15000 postcodes so for a developer they have to weigh up cost v's return and generally this is not worth the return

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Suppose we simply repeat the city and state only for those zip codes already entered by the owner.  Then, the task becomes much simpler, like the QuickBooks auto-fill feature.

I will guess that most users have a limited number of different zip, cities and states in their database, so the feature will save an enormous amount of keying for the user with very little effort by the program or programmer.

Thoughts?

Craig M

Copper Contributor

Just stumbled on this as I had the same question.....

As to the level of effort, before I switched to ACT!, i used GoldMine, and the ZIP Code lookup was a third-party add-on that made things simple. Given the battle between the two at the time, I was surprised no one did it for ACT.