Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Auto Close - good idea or no?

Copper Contributor

Auto Close - good idea or no?

The server my database is on has about 3gb of memory.  For my 10 users, the sqlservr.exe process takes up about half that per day.  As normal maintenance, I stop/start the sql service each morning before they get in.  I've noticed if I don't, sometimes they complain about speed and unresponsiveness.

I found the "Auto Close" option in the ACT Diagnostics this morning which says:  "If checked the database is shut down cleanly and its resources are freed after the last user exits."  Since all of my users are in the database all day long and pretty much log out at the same time, it sounds like this might be a better option.

I'm running Sage ACT Premium 2011 V 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2.

Does anyone have experience with this or want to share what I should look out for if I enable it?  I'm not touching it yet, on the off chance that it could cause further issues.  Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Copper Contributor

Re: Auto Close - good idea or no?

Just updating...  Tried this setting on a test database, no adverse affects.  Tried it on my production database, also no adverse affects, but it didn't appear to do anything either.  The sqlserver.exe process still stuck at 1.5gb for the day.

Oh well.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Auto Close - good idea or no?

Makes sense if you think about it - the only time the memory is fully released is when everyone logs out...  While we are in the system it still will use as much RAM as possible/it needs...

Can you purge old history and/or contact records that are out of date/unused?