Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attempting to reinstall in new computer after virus destroyed olde one. Registration fails at activation code.

Attempting to reinstall in new computer after virus destroyed olde one. Registration fails at activation code.

[ Edited ]

A virus destroyed my olde computer and I am attempting to install it into a new Windows7 computer.  It loads the trial version just fine but when I attempt to register it when I get to the activation code I get a pop up window that tells me that the code is not valid and to call a number.

After a bunch of screwing around at that number they tolde me to enter my problem here??

Any idea what is wrong?

[Edit: Removed email. Please do not include personal information on a public post other than in your signature]

Copper Contributor

Re: Attempting to reinstall in new computer after virus destroyed olde one. Registration fails at activation code.

I had the same problem as you a couple of years ago.  Our university policy is that if you get a virus, we wipe your computer and you start over.  When I attempted to reinstall ACT, it wouldn't let me.  I believe it was because ACT thought I was trying to install my old software onto a new computer. etc. In other words, it wouldn't let me register my software after the reinstall because it thoght I was trying to install it on a different computer --which in fact I was and you are. This is how ACT prevents users from installing the software on lots of computers and giving it away to friends,

ACT software support was able to help and they just gave me a new registration number.  Basically, they treated it like I was a new customer.

Hope this helps.

Re: Attempting to reinstall in new computer after virus destroyed olde one. Registration fails at activation code.

Thanks for your input.

That is exactly what all of the other legitimate software providers have done for me.  That is exactly what I had expected. 

I have been using several versions of this software for 15 to 20 years and have loved it.  I have recommended it to several of my customers and a few have actually purchased it. 

These folks bounced me around, including sendimg me to this site.  I talked to at least 5 different people including one of their for fee consultants.  Their for fee consultant recommended that I yell at them and tell them to do exactly what they did for you.  2 of their people were happy to sell me new software but wouldn't guarantee that my data would transfer over.  Two of them told me that their software in that version wouldn't work with Windows7.  Guess what??  I have been using it for about a week and it has been working just fine.  When they resort to outright lies that tests my patience to the maximun.

If this is the way that they treat their long time customers I am going to seriously consider some of the other alternatives.

It's too bad that I don't drink...  At least I'd have some relief from the frustration.

Again, thanks for your help and letting me vent.

Jim from Minnesota

Platinum Elite Contributor

Silver Super Contributor

I think Mike is on the right track.  You will get that message if you try and register one version of ACT! with a registration number for a different version of ACT!.  The other thing that would cause the problem is if you keyed the registration number in wrong perhaps substituting a zero for an o etc.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Hello Jim,
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having attempting to register your ACT! software. Please see your Private Messages in this forum regarding this issue.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

act!2005

Jim,
Unfortunately, ACT! 2005 is not supported on Windows 7 operating systems. You would need ACT! 2010 (v12) or higher.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am frankly surprised that ACT! 2005 (7.0) installed on Windows 7 at all ... SQL 2000 and .Net 1.1 were never designed for that

It's working just fine but when I open it it prompts to register it or continue using 30 day trial.  It continues to say that I have 0 days of trial use.  Needless to say, I am confused and disappointed in ACT and their lack of attempts to assist.  They would love to sell me an update but will not guarantee that my data will work in the new version.