Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attempted to Read or Write to Protected Areas Error

Attempted to Read or Write to Protected Areas Error

Running:

ACT! 2005 ver 7.04.82

Windows XP SP3

Office 2007

Everything has worked fine for a couple of years UNTIL I decided to get more efficient and installed Companionlink to sync with my iPhone.  Would not work.  According to Companinonlink, it is because I had .Net Framework 2.0 on my laptop.  Had to delete all .Net Frameworks (up to and including 3.5).  Downloaded and reinstalled 3.5 but of course Windows Updates has reinstalled everything back to 2.0.

Now I can't even run ACT!  When I launch the program, I get the Attempted to Read...etc. error message.  I've searched for and changed the name on the normal file.  I opened Word 2007 and closed it for it to create a new normal file.  I ran the Diagnostic program under help in Outlook 2007 and it did fix one error; but still the same issue.

Any other ideas what I have done? Contemplating an uninstall and reinstall of ACT!.  I do have a database save that is only a few days old so I could restore my data.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Attempted to Read or Write to Protected Areas Error

I would uninstall ACT!, and any .net framework you have installed.  Then, reboot.

Then reinstall ACT!, the .net framework will be installed from the ACT! CD or download you have.

That should get ACT! working again.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello MHender239,
Another point is that ACT! 2005 will not integrate with Office 2007 - only with Office 2000-2003. Office 2007 support was not available until ACT! 2008. Also, ACT! 2005 does not run well with .NET 2.0. You may have to remove that to get it running. The "read or write to protected memory" error is usually indicative of an issue with .NET. In addition, ACT! 2005 may not work with SP3 for Windows XP.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Have everything running again.  All I had to do was reinstall .Net 1.1 from original CD.  Windows is wanting to update to 2.0.  Declined the update.

Thanks for the help.

Copper Elite Contributor

I don't think they started using .net 2.0 until ACT! 2007.  Supposedly you can have all the versions installed and they won't step on each others' toes...

Glad you were able to get this resolved :-)

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic