Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attempt to read/write protected memory

Attempt to read/write protected memory

I have installed Act 2008 with Outlook 2002.  When I try to access e-mail from ACT, I get a message that says "Attempt to read or write to protected memory.  This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.  I do not have any issues using Outlook.  After spending a LONG time with Act tech support, the recommendation is to completely remove ACT, all the SQL components, MS Office, and reinstall in the reverse order.  This is a LOT of trouble.  Does anyone have any other idea of the situation or a different solution.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Attempt to read/write protected memory

Can you try a Detect and Repair from under the Help menu in Outlook?

It might also be thie Microsoft issue - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923028

I had previously run a repair from the Office CD.  When I ran Detect and Repair from the Help menu in Outlook, it only said it repaired Front Page.  That could be because I loaded Office first, then loaded Front Page from a different CD.

When I was working with the ACT support people, they did something with the .NET Framework, so I assume they tried this fix already.  The final diagnosis from ACT support was that my Outlook was at fault.  They suggested completely uninstalling ACT, the SQL component, and Office and reinstalling the Office from the CD and reinstalling ACT.  With all the other postings in the forum about problems with ACT and the time required to do this, I was not willing to take the time when there is a likelihood that it won't fix the issue.

If doing the Detect and Repair from Outlook only did FrontPage, it's certain that your Office install is corrupt. It shouldn't matter which Office app you run it from it should repair all.

ACT! really can be expected to connect when parts of Office are damaged.

Most of the issues with ACT! are usually Microsoft issues in .Net or Office. If those are working properly, ACT! is usually fine.

Do you know if I really have to completely uninstall ACT and SQL before doing the Office reinstall?

I assume you mean that ACT can NOT be expected to run when parts of Office are damaged.

Many Thanks,
Ann

It's kinda difficult to know... ACT! looks to add some things to Office when it's installed. So a reinstall of Office alone might be ok... but if not, you'll need to reinstall ACT! later.