Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attaching incoming emails is keeping CPU usage % high

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Attaching incoming emails is keeping CPU usage % high

[ Edited ]

I've noticed some serious slowdowns in a new Vista laptop (2 GB RAM) since Act! 2009 was installed.  I've tracked at least part of the problem down to the service that attaches Outlook 2007 incoming emails to the history.  When it cannot find a contact to attach the email to, the icon in the tray stays there and my CPU usage goes up to around 50-60% and stays there until I manually go in and delete those emails by right clicking on the tray icon and opening the dialog. 

Is there a way to not have it try to attach the incoming emails since I don't see this as critical, and still keep the rest of the integration with Outlook 2007?

Thanks

Message Edited by vincenzo on 06-13-2009 07:22 AM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author vincenzo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Attaching incoming emails is keeping CPU usage % high

Vincenzo -

You are correct about the program name, and that is all it does.  You can "turn off" the attaching in Tools>Preferences, then E-Mail setup.  Go through the setup steps, and look for the attaching options.  One of the dropdown choices is to attach/record "None", which will prevent this from happenning.  Additionally, delete any Outlook rules that perform the check/attach, and that should help you... 

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

Generally the reason I find this is the case is because the email address is unfound in the database and it keeps retrying to attach. Automatic attaching of incoming emails is not a default option unless you have built a rule to do so or are you using the Quick attach function on your whole inbox

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK Thanks

Message Edited by vincenzo on 06-14-2009 08:35 AM
Copper Contributor

I assume it is the Act.Outlook.Service.exe that performs this attaching function, correct?.  What other functions does it perform?

Thanks

Solution
Accepted by topic author vincenzo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Vincenzo -

You are correct about the program name, and that is all it does.  You can "turn off" the attaching in Tools>Preferences, then E-Mail setup.  Go through the setup steps, and look for the attaching options.  One of the dropdown choices is to attach/record "None", which will prevent this from happenning.  Additionally, delete any Outlook rules that perform the check/attach, and that should help you... 

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

If I turn off the attaching, will the Act.Outlook.Service.exe no longer start when the computer boots?  I'd like to do what I can to speed up the computer boot process.

And if I turn off attaching as above, will it also no longer attach outgoing emails to history?

Thanks

Bronze Elite Contributor

Act.Outlook.Service .exe is in startup. Disable it there if you want.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

OK thanks. 

And is Act.Outlook.Service.exe used to also attach outgoing emails to history?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Yes. Stopping the service will stop emails attaching. But you also need to stop the emails building up in the queue by editing email preferences as suggested earlier. The act.outlook.service.exe clears and attachs mail found in the queue. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

OK thanks.