Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attaching Word Docs to ACT 10 while in Word stopped working

Attaching Word Docs to ACT 10 while in Word stopped working

When I'm working on a Word Doc and want to attach it to a  contact in ACT 10, I now get a message "could not connect to ACT.  Please make sure you have ACT open and a database running".  It did work several weeks ago with no problems, but for some reason it just stopped working.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem?  I reinstalled ACT 10 but that didn't help.  The ACT is in the menu bar in Word but again it will not make the connections.  I did a fix and reapir in Word, but that didn't help.

I can link a Word document when I'm in ACT.  That feature still works.

Thanks

billb

Re: Attaching Word Docs to ACT 10 while in Word stopped working

What OS are you using? Do you have Eset Smart Security installed?  If the database is open, are you able to attach?  Try disabling your antivirus software and test.

I’m using Windows Vista Business OS.  No I do not have Eset Smart Security.  Yes if I’m in ACT 10 I can attach a document.  That part still work very well.  I did try disabling my antivirus, but it still didn’t work.  I use to work very well, but for some reason if I’m in Word it just stopped working.  ACT is still part of the menu in Word, but if I try and use any of the features in the dropdown including the first one “Attach to ACT”  it says “could not connect to ACT” 

How do I fix the problem???   I reloaded ACT from the CD and it still doesn't work. Somehow the connection between WORD and ACT 10 has failed.  Again while in ACT, no problem.

If you edit a template, does the field list appear?  If it doesn't and you're using Office 2003, follow the KB article below.

Unable to Access the ACT! Menu Option on the Microsoft® Word or Excel® Tool Bar

Yes I'm unsing Word 2003.  I remember this hotfix.  I ran it again per the instructions, didn't work.  I also verified registry settings and everything was set correctly.

I did discover that the field list does not appear when I open an existing templete or when I try and do a new templete.  It says it cannot connect to the database. 

Same message.

I have rebooted, but that didn't seem to work either.

What's next?  I appreciate your feedback

By the way, it does not work with Excel. Same probelm

If I were to update to the newest version of Office, would it work?  I haven't wanted to spend the money

When you checked the registry for the LoadBehavior.  Was it set to 3 or 2.  If you had to change it to 3, does it rename 3 after opening Word or Excel?

David

When I checked the registry both were already set at 3 so I didn't have to modify it.

Bill

I'm still trying to figure out how to repair the link between Word and Act.  The Act dropdown in on the Word menu, but nothing works.  It says that my ACT database is not running when it is actually running.  I go to ACT to try and work on a templete, and it is also broken.  I can't get the Act Fields to show up.

It use to work great.  I don't know what happened.

ACT version is 10

Word version is 2003

Thanks

Bill

I'm still trying to figure out how to repair the link between Word and Act. The Act dropdown is on the Word menu, but nothing works. It says that my ACT database is not running when it is actually running. I go to ACT to try and work on a templete, and it is also broken. I can't get the Act Fields to show up. It use to work great. I don't know what happened. ACT version is 10 and Word version is 2003.  I have already verifyed that the LoadBehavior is set to 3 on both Word and Excel.

Can anyone help me solve this problem. 

Thanks Bill