Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attachemts directory contains > 87000 items

Copper Contributor

Attachemts directory contains > 87000 items

Hi,

I have been using act for several years now and the attachments directory now contains more than 87000 items.  This directory is stored on a network drive which is backed up every 24 hrs but my IT dept now complains that it becomes more and more difficult to back up all Act files. The attachments directory ONLY contains email messages. Documents are stored in separate directories per year but I cannot seem to find a way to get Outlook do the same.

I am now using Act V18 18.2.53.0, Update 5 on a windows 7 machine

regards Leendert Smit

Administrator

Re: Attachemts directory contains > 87000 items

Hi Leendert,

Could you clarify what you mean when you say that your Documents are stored in separate directories? Any files that are stored as 'attachments' to the database will be placed into the Database Files > Attachments folder. It's possible to attach things like documents using 'shortcuts' or 'links', which point to another folder - is this what you mean?

When an email is sent and attached using the built-in Outlook integration, it will be placed into the Attachments folder. You can change the attachment option in Tools > Preferences > Email & Outlook Sync > Email System Setup.

If the options are set to record 'Email subject, message and all attachments' then the email will be stored in the database attachments folder. You could set the option to 'Email subject and message (recommended)' - this will record the contents of the email directly into the history, without attaching the email.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I now see that all link files  to attached documents are also stored in the attachments directory so I have a problem with both email  and link files.

You suggest to use this option in the email preferences: Email subject and message (recommended)'  but I think you will not be able to reply to a message stored this way and you will have to go to outlook. Look up the message and reply. That is very time consuming.

Please correct me if I am wrong

regards, Leendert

Administrator

Hi Leendert,

You're absolutely correct about the email history, if the email isn't attached then you won't be able to open it in outlook and reply directly.

Unfortunately if you want the emails to be attached to your Act! database, they will have to reside in the attachments folder.

If the size of this folder is causing a problem, you could look at clearing out old history records (and the associated attachments). There's a built in feature of Act! for this - you'll find information about it here:

How do I remove old data from my Act! Database?

Clearing out old history records will help to reduce the size of the attachments folder.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not the size of the folder but the number of files present in this folder. Backing up this folder takes more and more time.

Why is there no archive function in Act or way to determine the location of the attachments folder. It would be handy if I can make an attachments folder per year.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Leendert,

You are correct it is the number of files that slows the backup process not the overall volume of space consumed. Are you using the Act! backup feature that can schedule backups, in doing so creating .zip files that could be backed up by the IT daily backups rather than backing up the supplementary files directly? That will help a great deal.      

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

I agree with the option that @gleo recommend, to backup the Act! .zip backups and your IT could exclude the Database files folder from their system backups.

If you have not created Act backup's via the Scheduler i have included an article that will help with this. 

19214 How to manage the Act! Scheduler