Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attached documents copies to attachments with new path

Attached documents copies to attachments with new path

I have recently learned, at the cost of a sale, and maybe more than one, that when I attach a document (proposal) that I want to file in a directory tree that is useful to us, ACT! 9 automatically creates a copy of that document in its own "Attachments" file - which I wouldn't mind - but then REPLACES my just-created link to the original document with a link to the document in the Attachments folder.  Thus I have two versions of the proposal.  When I click on the link I get the document I expect.  I may make modifications to the proposal (very common) and save them, and happily proceed thinking I am  modifying the document I originally attached!  And this is OK if I print out the proposal to deliver.  But often times I come back from the presentation with needed modifications, make them, and then E-mail the changed proposal.  The trouble is that I attach my ORIGINAL document to the E-mail, which means I am sending an unmodified version.  In at least one case this angered the client enough to kill my chances.  This is a stupid, stupid "feature" that you should be aware of.  The only "fix" I have found is to do a "save as" after saving the linked document, so that I can save the latest version in the specific folder I always thought was holding my linked document.  Why can't ACT! let me attach a document and leave that the hot-link?  I don't care if it wants to make a copy - just leave my attachment path alone!  Cripes.

Does anyone know how to shut this function off?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Attached documents copies to attachments with new path

Attaching files copies them to the Attachments sub-folder so that any user can access the file.

What you should do, when you want to edit the file, is open it from ACT!... then it's opening the copy in the database and just use this.

With ACT! 10, you have the option of either doing this or just creating a link to your original file. This might be a better option for you.

Thank you, MIke.  Unfortunately, like almost every other problem we have with ACT! 9, and there are many, the answer always seems to be to buy an upgrade.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Not know the other problems, I can't comment... but this is a feature change for 10