Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attach to ACT contacts is no longer working

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Attach to ACT contacts is no longer working

You need to work through the list that Horn and I have given you the link to -

Start with the items below but you will need the link to get to the .bat files

Act.Outlook.Service.exe is not running or did not start properly
If the Act.Outlook.Service.exe process is not started or is not running properly, you may be able to resolve this issue by starting or restarting it using a batch file per the steps below:

1. Depending on your version of Act!, download one of the following files from the File Attachments section of this article:
    • Act! v19 and later: AOSRESTART.bat
    • Act! v18 and earlier: AOSRESTART32.bat
  2. Double-click the downloaded file, then when prompted, press any key to continue
  3. Once prompted again, press any key to continue and close out of the command prompt
  4. Go back to Act!, refresh the view, then verify that the missing history records are now there

You can also verify that the Act.Outlook.Service.exe service is set to automatically start when you start up or reboot your computer. Follow these steps to verify this setting:

1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to bring up the run dialog
  2. Type msconfig, then press Enter
  3. Click the Startup tab
  4. Scroll through the list of items until you find a Startup item called Act with a command line of one of the following depending on your operating system type and version of Act!:

64-bit OS
    Act! Pro or Act! Premium: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe
    Act! Premium (access via web): C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Web\Act.Outlook.Service.exe

32-bit OS
    Act! Pro or Act! Premium: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe
    Act! Premium (access via web): C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\Act.Outlook.Service.exe

5. Ensure that the box for this item is checked, indicating that the service is set to automatically start when the computer starts up
  6. Click OK
Copper Contributor

I ran AOSRESTART.bat and followed the instruction provided. Nothing changed.  e-mails that I had "attached" are still not attached, and new e-mails that I am "attaching" are not attaching.

I followed your instructions for verifying that Act.Outlook.Service.exe service is set to automatically start when you start up or reboot your computer. When I got to step 3 I clicked the startup tab but there was nothing to scroll through (step 4). There is a blank page that says, "To manage startup items, use the Startup section of Task Manager. So I clicked the link to open task manager.  I found no items with any command lines.  The only things ACT-related I found were ACT.integration, ACT.Outlook64.Service, and ACT.Scheduler.UI.exe, all of which say "Disabled". 

There are no boxes to check.

Craig

Hi Craig,

If there is no item relating to the Act.Outlook.Service.exe you may need to add it. Ensure to copy the Act.Outlook.Service.exe from on of these location

64-bit OS
Act! Pro or Act! Premium: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe
Act! Premium (access via web): C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Web\Act.Outlook.Service.exe

32-bit OS
Act! Pro or Act! Premium: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe
Act! Premium (access via web): C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\Act.Outlook.Service.exe

Navigate to both of these locations below and paste a copy of the application in: 

User startup items: %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

System startup items: %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can also double click the Act.outlook.service.exe from the Program files to manually start the application, You should be able to see it from Task Manager or System Tray.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

I have located the Act.Outlook.Service executable file but cannot navigate to the location you recommended (I pasted %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup into a command prompt and got the following message:

'C:\Users\mail\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I spent some time hunting for it in Explorer (or whatever MS is calling it these days) but came up empty.  Obviously it's there, I just can't find it.

Can you tell me the higher-level folders above appdata?

Hi Craig,

I would recommend to paste the command into Windows file explorer or the Window's Search from 'Start' button.

Copper Contributor

Thanks, Horn, that did it.

I copied and pasted the Act.Outlook.Service file into Startup, as directed.  What should I do next? Close ACT> Close Outlook?  Al of the above?

Thanks,

Craig

When your machine is restarted you should now have the Act.Outlook.Service.exe running on startup.

You can manually run the application by double clicking the application it, once done you should see it in Task manager and your system tray.

Copper Contributor

Restarted machine problem persists.  Nothing attaches.

There is no icon in my Systray.

Is the application now running from Task manager? if this is the case i would recommend continuing with steps in: 19948 No history created or recorded when sending e-mail from Microsoft Outlook 2003 and later

Copper Contributor

It is not.

I have tried everything, including "History Queue Folder", step 6 of which is, Go to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, locate Act.Outlook.Service.exe, highlight it and click the End Process button. This will stop the ACT! Outlook Service. Act.Outlook.Service.exe is, of course, not running, so I can't "highlight it and click the End Process button."  I proceeded to Step 8, "Locate the file Act.Outlook.Service.exe and double-click it to restart the service. Look under the Processes tab in the Task Manager again to verify the service is running." As before, double clicking Act.Outlook.Service.exe does nothing (which I find odd); it doesn't even appear in the task manager.

I appreciate your efforts but I think I'm at the point where I need to call Sage and have them give it a look.

Craig