Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attach email stopped working properly

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Attach email stopped working properly

Attaching an email (Outlook 2010, Addins, Attach to Act contact) has suddenly started inserting the text of the email into the Contact history under Regarding & Details instead of just putting the Subject in, then attaching the the whole email in Attachments (i.e. under the paper clip icon).

Can't see what I am doing differently to before!

Frustrating, I like to be able to click on the paper clip and have the email itself open. Certainly don't want the history tab filled with reams of email content!

I think this happened once before and I fixed it, but can't figure what I did.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Attach email stopped working properly

Thanks for considering my problem Greg.

Over the past day I have actually become very familiar with the steps mentioned in this KB, and in a few other similar ones mentioned above, but kept getting the same result, the text of the email in the Regarding & Details, but no attached email as I wanted.

However I went through the steps again, remembering that I had definitely installed Outlook 2010 before Act2012 so that was ok. I also remembered that in my last version of Act it made a difference whether I clicked on the email address or the email button in the contact as to how it worked, but that makes no difference now.

While testing that I turned 'Record history when sending' to 'None', and no history was recorded. I then tried 'Attach to Act contact' on the sent item in Outlook addins, and IT WORKED!! I then picked some random received emails and did 'Attach to Act contact', that also worked properly again.

So finally I went back into preferences and changed 'Record history when sending' back to 'Subject, Message and all attachments', tested again, lo, everything back to normal!!

Summarising, one way to force an option that you want and that isn't working, is to turn it off, run a test, then turn it on again.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post.

Graham.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'd been through all those things in the KB already, but checked again. 

The KB focuses on sent emails, which I don't have a problem with.

I often receive emails which for various reasons don't qucik attach to the contact.

Up till now, I highlight the email, click Attach to Act contact in Addins tab, and the email is attached with the paper clip. Now all I get is the text of the email put into Regarding & Details in Act history, and no paper clip.

Bronze Super Contributor

mmm... I'm drawing a blank, haven't seen that occur.

Personally I'm not a fan of the "Quick Attach", I normally click "Attach to ACT! Contact" and select the people I want it attached to, mostly because in my role, I'll get an email from the IT guy for a client, I'll attach it to the client's record, as well as the IT guy. Quick attach will only attach it to the IT guy (unless of course he also sent it to the client).

Platinum Super Contributor

Check your email history recording settings, specifically the 'Attach to ACT! Contacts' option.  This article has steps to set up, look at images '5 of 8' and '6 of 8': KB Article 26832

If not resolved, what version of Sage ACT! are you running?

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks for considering my problem Greg.

Over the past day I have actually become very familiar with the steps mentioned in this KB, and in a few other similar ones mentioned above, but kept getting the same result, the text of the email in the Regarding & Details, but no attached email as I wanted.

However I went through the steps again, remembering that I had definitely installed Outlook 2010 before Act2012 so that was ok. I also remembered that in my last version of Act it made a difference whether I clicked on the email address or the email button in the contact as to how it worked, but that makes no difference now.

While testing that I turned 'Record history when sending' to 'None', and no history was recorded. I then tried 'Attach to Act contact' on the sent item in Outlook addins, and IT WORKED!! I then picked some random received emails and did 'Attach to Act contact', that also worked properly again.

So finally I went back into preferences and changed 'Record history when sending' back to 'Subject, Message and all attachments', tested again, lo, everything back to normal!!

Summarising, one way to force an option that you want and that isn't working, is to turn it off, run a test, then turn it on again.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post.

Graham.

Copper Elite Contributor

P.S. I still have no idea why it went AWOL in the first place.  Smiley Frustrated

Platinum Super Contributor

That is a strange one. Apparently the saved preference setting was corrupted, and changing it corrected it. I'm glad to hear it is now working and Thank You for the update!
Greg Martin
Sage