Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

At start up the program it wants me to select a database instead of going to the main page

At start up the program it wants me to select a database instead of going to the main page

I have Act  Pro2012, when I try to launch the application it tells me that I have to select a database.  I have been using this software for over a year and I never had this request.  I select my only database and it give me an error message saying it cannot access this data base.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: At start up the program it wants me to select a database instead of going to the main page

Firstly re-boot and try again.

If your database is on the local machine and it gives the same message right click on Computer Icon, select Manage, then Services. Now look for SQL Server (ACT7) and see if it is showing as Started, if not right click on it and start.

If your database is on another computer check that you still have an open network connection. Are others able to get on the database etc.

Re: At start up the program it wants me to select a database instead of going to the main page

Where is the computer icon located?

OK I figured out how to get to the where I needed to be.  The SQLServer (ACT17) showed that is had "started" now what?  This database is located on my local laptop and no one else accesses this database.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Has anything changed on your laptop? Your system log-on name or the name of the laptop?

There are a number of causes for this message and it is difficult to guess what might be causing it from anti virus update blocking it, security settings change, permissions error on the ACT database folder etc.

Click Start and type ACTDIAG in search program and files. Once ACTDIAG starts click OK and then select databases - Database list.  Is your database listed and if so is it ON LINE and Unlocked. Is it marked recovering anywhere.

Here is a link to the knowledgebase article that may also help -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

I bit the bullet and had SAGE fix it for me, it took the...

I bit the bullet and had SAGE fix it for me, it took the guy over an hour.