Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Assistance Moving ACT 2010 Database from a server to another PC on the same network

Assistance Moving ACT 2010 Database from a server to another PC on the same network

Hi

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with this issue.

We are in the process of moving to a peer to peer based network and in preparation for that we need to move the Act database to a different PC on the network.

I can find several guides on this, which are relatively straight forward, but the the particular one I am looking at https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024245974-How-to-move-an-Act-database-from-one-machine-or-... states the following:

"Important Note for remote database synchronization users: If you are using remote synchronization and are moving a main (publisher) database or a remote database, do not use the method in this article to move these databases, as synchronization will not work after moving the databases. To move publisher and remote databases while retaining synchronization, refer to the following knowledgebase article:

How to move a main (publisher) and/or remote database to a different computer while retaining remote database synchronization
Answer ID How to retain synchronization when the Publisher and/or Subscriber database is moved to a different ...

I'm unsure if the terms remote synchronisation/ main (publisher) database/ remote database applies to us or not.

Here is our set up.  

Although we don't use it Act is currently installed on a server running Windows Server 2003. The Act database is also stored on the same server. We have 5 licences and all users are based in the same office as the server and access the database on the server via Cat 5 and an ethernet switch. We do not have any external access to the database and neither do any salesman have a duplicate/ remote database on their laptops etc. 

Once completed we all need to access the database in exactly the same way we do now and have access to all the attachments linked to the relevant companies/ contacts.

Fundamentally I think I'm asking whether we need to follow the instructions in the first link or the second link.

Many thanks

CT 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Assistance Moving ACT 2010 Database from a server to another PC on the same network

The first thing to consider is that any new installation of ACT! 2010 can't be activated because the licensing server is no longer available.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Assistance Moving ACT 2010 Database from a server to another PC on the same network

Apologies, I should have said that the PC we want to move the database too already has an active version of ACT 2010 installed.

Platinum Elite Contributor

As all users are local all you should need to do is backup the database in ACT! and then do a Restore As to a public location on the new database host machine.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Highlighted

Thank you Roy, your assiatnce is very much appreciated.

CT