Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Are performance changes since 2010 (not new features) worth the upgrade?

RK

Are performance changes since 2010 (not new features) worth the upgrade?

Please pardon me if this has been discussed before.

I am running 2010 Premium (but only use the Pro features).

I have read about the new features that ACT! has incorporated over the years and they are not compelling for me.

There are quite a few annoyances that I would want to fix if the upgrade would do that.  For instance, being able to re-name attachments in the documents tab, better searching, seeing division notes in a parent company, a better dalog for chosing a company name like they have for contact names, etc.

Would someone discuss?  I would try a trial version, but I would have to uninstall my current one and any changes to my database during the trial period would have to be discarded if I roll back to 2010.

Thank you

Bronze Contributor

Re: Are performance changes since 2010 (not new features) worth the upgrade?

Hello RX and welcome to the ACT Community Forum.  You will find a lot of help here from users and advanced gurus as well.  I personally am running version 2015 and have appreciated many of the changes since 2010.  But first your questions ...

Your questions:

1.  Be able to re-name attachments in the documents tab

This is a request I have had before the design team for years.  Hopefully your question and the fact that it is not available

will be the impetus to get this done.

2.  Better searching, seeing division notes in a parent company

Yes, changes to the searching method were made in either 2012 or 2013, but definitely better searching.

3.  Better dialog for choosing a company name like they have for contact names, etc.

I'm not sure what you are asking for that would be similar to contact names. 

Depending on how you use ACT there have been a lot of added features above and beyond the improvement in speed.  One of my favorites is the WEB Info - there the contact's LinkedIn page is displayed making it easier to find out if the person still works there.  I use this heavily when I do a mail merge and have to handle bounce backs. 

There are many others, but I hope the above helps with your decision.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
RK

Re: Are performance changes since 2010 (not new features) worth the upgrade?

Thank you for the response, but my point is that I don't want added features.  I would like the software to work properly, e.g. not crash when I attach more than a few dozen documents to a company.

The ACT business model of letting third parties fix a flawed product caused me to purchase a number of add-ons.  An upgrade would force me to repurchase them.  So, while ACT is not expensive, an upgrade would not be insignificant.

Incidentally, what I meant in my post was: in many cases (e.g. when you want to change the company reference in a note, or the company link for a contact), ACT gives you the opportunity to chose the "Company List" view so you can search by name.  Other times (e.g. when you promote a company or make a company a division of another) you are forced to use the scroll bar to search through what is for me a list of hundreds of companies.

Other examples include not being able to search for a person easily if you know his first and last name but not his middle name.  I know I can build an advanced query every time I want to look up a contact but that is awkward and slow. I won't even mention regular expressions or a search that allows for minor spelling errors in a serious tone.

ACT is putting the cart before the horse (or the sales department ahead of the customres) and that is why I have not upgraded.