Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Applying the Service Packs

Starting with ACT! 2000, the product had become so difficult to update and maintain that I began to use the services of a computer consultant.  For instance, we had to completely uninstall Norton Antivirus to install ACT!.  Well, we tried 2005 and 2007 and kicked them both to the curb.  In when I committed to ACT! 2008, I bought two copies and delivered the one to the consultant, first.  While I'm happy with the product, it is still as high maintenance & temperamental, as ever. I don't attempt anything on my "mission-critical" workstation, until he has implemented it and used it for a week.  The updates are abominable.  Irrespective of what Sage's site says about installing the updates, be prepared to completely uninstall ACT!, reinstall ACT! and apply ONLY the latest update, if you expect to succeed.  In addition, we had to completely uninstall our current antivirus, NOD32.

Don't forget, after applying the Service Pack 3, you will need to add your address book in Outlook® again. This is necessary because when the upgrade is done, there is an uninstall and reinstall that takes place which breaks the Outlook Integration. - Jack

Re: Applying the Service Packs

Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered a number of issues while applying ACT! updates and have resulted to use a test environment before going live.  

Are there other users experiencing same issues are you? Yes. Are there users that do not encounter any issues with updates? Of course.  Computer environments are unique in every way.  Before ACT! releases any updates, they are tested by development, support, and certified consultants.  Even with these resources testing the update, there's no way to test every environment out there.  

The steps you've mentioned don't always apply.  You can apply an update without having to do an uninstall of ACT! first. In addition to uninstall with antivirus, we recommend turning them off during updates/installs.  After doing so, if enabling antivirus causes issues, we ask to apply exclusions for ACT!.

Turning off antivirus hasn't worked with Norton or NOD32.  We had to uninstall.  As for the update, it failed on my consultant's machine & mine.

I like ACT!, so I'll live with the brain damage.  Please [a] start dating your updates; [b] note if they are cumulative and [c] return the ability to attach v-cards/ACT! contacts directly from Outlook. I will not upgrade my consulting group members unless we can share information.

Please! - Jack