Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Apple Computer users

Apple Computer users

Is there anyone out there that uses an Apple computer with Act. If so, does it work in the same way as with Microsoft poered computers
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Apple Computer users

ACT! is not directly compatible with the Apple/Mac OS, you must be running Windows. I have heard success stories using an emulation software like Bootcamp and the new pentium based Macs offer a very clean method of creating a Windows partition.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Platinum Elite Contributor

Brad, Bootcamp isn't emulation... it's XP running native.

I'd guess that VMWare might also work
Nickel Contributor

I'd love to run ACT! on a Mac but setting up the Mac hard drive into 2 partitions is a pain. And you have to have a large HD in the Mac because XP takes up so much space. And running other Windows apps, like Outlook and Word just don't run a smoothly as Mac people say they do. I guess a company like Sage just doesn't see enough Mac users out there to release a Mac version of ACT! It's all about numbers.

There used to be a MAC version (and even an Apple Newton version) ... Symantec dropped it because of the low numbers.

I hope Sage realizes there is a trend of Windows customers switching to Mac to avoid viruses. I've been an ACT! user for over 13 years and I love it, but I switched over to Mac this year because I love NOT having viruses MORE (I know 10 people who also switched in the last 3 months)! I'm not sold on running Parallels since I have to run 3 programs at a time while working and the internet is one of them, which puts me back in the same boat of encountering potential viruses. I'm looking for a new business software like ACT in the Mac version, does anyone know anything out there?

dtspangle wrote:
I hope Sage realizes there is a trend of Windows customers switching to Mac to avoid viruses. I've been an ACT! user for over 13 years and I love it, but I switched over to Mac this year because I love NOT having viruses MORE (I know 10 people who also switched in the last 3 months)! I'm not sold on running Parallels since I have to run 3 programs at a time while working and the internet is one of them, which puts me back in the same boat of encountering potential viruses. I'm looking for a new business software like ACT in the Mac version, does anyone know anything out there?

I think it'll be a matter of enough of the user base that run ACT! to switch for this to be looked at again... BTW: in a recent hacker contest, the MAC was the first to be hacked, followed by Vista, with the Linux box the only one to last the comp unhacked.

One of the reasons for the lacks of viruses on MAC is that there are fewer users and therefore fewer targets for the malware writers. If the MAC becomes popular enough, this is likely to change.