Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Apparently random duplication of contacts in Database

Apparently random duplication of contacts in Database

I am so frustrated with this product.  I used it once before at another position, an older version. I have 10.0 now.  I liked it but II've had way too much trouble with this.  I have printed out the huge user guide and read it. I was trying to do a mail merge yesterday, which was ok, but I couldn't anywhere find how to put my company logo in the template, had to eventually just add it to each letter. Then this morning, for no reason, I didn't do a sync instead of the 1098 contacts I should have in my database there are almost 6000, the regular contacts duplicated multiple times.  This has happened before when I performed a sync.  I have had other issues that I try to get help on, have paid for some but am sick of that.  I would just ditch it and use Outlook exclusively except that I don't want to have to be online to access my database.  Also sometimes for no apparent reason when I open the database an error message pops up with an annoying ding that says something about a reference to an object that started happening again this weekend, no idea why.  Can anybody tell me why I should keep trying with this product?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Apparently random duplication of contacts in Database

Elizabeth,

It certainly seems that you have mutliple issues going on with your database.  I'll try to address them individually.

1. Mail merge - add company logo:  You can edit your templates and add images.  This is done through the Write > Edit Template > select template option.  Here is an article with the steps for adding images to a mail merge template:

KB Article 13834

2. Duplicated contacts: unfortunately I can't give an answer for this one.  Duplication is generally experienced when a synchronization is involved (usually with a handheld device).  There are no functions within the program that would automatically create additional records.  To help isolate when the contacts were duplicated (same day or not), you can view the Contact List screen and add the 'Create Date' field (View > Customize Columns option) to the list.  Click on the heading Create Date and it will sort accordingly.  To remove large numbers of duplicates, using the Task List, you can highlight multiple contacts > then right click on the highlighted area and select 'Delete'. 

To ensure you can recover from a situation like this, we recommend you backup your database daily.  This can be done through the File > Backup > Database option OR through the Act! Scheduler (under Tools menu) for an automated backup.

3. Object Reference message: a common reason for this error is that the monitor's DPI setting has been changed.  Act! is designed to work with the default settings for DPI (96 on XP and Vista, 'Small' on Windows 7).  Changing the DPI setting may correct the error, but you may have to recreate the Act! Preference files for resolution.  Another common fix is to run 'Check and Repair' found under the Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair option.  Here is an article with several reasons for this error and their steps to resolve: KB Article 24350

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Apparently random duplication of contacts in Database

Thanks so much, I still don't know what caused the mass duplication, I didn't do a sync.  I did pull up my desktop cardscan app to check some names but didn't sync it.  I was able to do a select by create date and get rid of the duplicates without too much trouble, I did do a check and repair and the error message is gone now.  I tried everything I could think of to get the template to allow my company logo in, but I will try your suggestion.  I appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Elizabeth Houser