Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Anyway to capture (grab) key info. like Names, Titles, Emails and quickly get into Act!

Anyway to capture (grab) key info. like Names, Titles, Emails and quickly get into Act!

My understanding is the only way to import is via a .CSV. That's fine for large data transfers but I am looking for a way to quickly grab info. I come across randomly.  I want to be able to very quickly highlight/copy it and with one click, input it into Act! V22.  In 2020, it seems this type of technology, especially for a Contact Management DB should be standard.  It's too time consuming to have to manually enter info. every time.

Also, about the 2GB limit- if the DB is only used for contacts- how long until I would hit that limit?  Assuming average use- average notes per contact, minimal attachments, etc.

Are there any competitors to Act! that are standalone solutions (no subscriptions- no cloud?)  They don't have to be as robust- just a software that simply allows one to input some contacts and recall them later- with some notes?

THANKS!

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Anyway to capture (grab) key info. like Names, Titles, Emails and quickly get into Act!

I spent some time trying to see if anyone has put up a solution but didn't find anything under a thousand dollars.

The problem with capturing and then automatically importing the information into ACT is not Act as much as it is the inconsistency on how contact information is displayed on a web page.  

You say you identify the information one at a time.  If that is the case, it is really not time consuming to add a contact.  

• If this is the first time a contact from a specific company is discovered, then you have to create a new contact.
  • If this is an additional contact to a company you already have on file, then use the duplicate contact and enter just the contact's pertinent information.

However, you might want to consider keeping a spreadsheet already formatted with the proper ACT headings and build the list as you come across contacts.  I would then keep the spreadsheet as a document attached to your profile.

Hope this helps.  If you find a program that does this, let us know.

Regarding db size limits, all I've ever read is that the size is limited to the size of the HDD.  My db has over 50K contacts and the size is 2.14GB.  

There a vast number of competitors.  Just remember that ACT has been around since 1985 and has one of the most active user forums I've ever seen.

Good luck.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor

Re: Anyway to capture (grab) key info. like Names, Titles, Emails and quickly get into Act!

Thanks jnpurdy-

I have used Act! in the past and I know how to set up the CSV as you mentioned.  There use to be a program called eGrabbe* that would allow you to highlight some text and it automatically knew which field to add it to e.g., you could highlight a persons email signature and in 1-2 clicks it was in Act!  I just looked and it still exists and works with many versions of act.  It's called AddressGrabbe*

I am aware of the community but that's not really a huge selling point.  If it works- a big community should not really be necessary- I don't use one for my cell phone or other technologies but I get it- it's nice to have if I have a question.  I would not be a power user so I was asking if there are any very simple contact management software solutions you are aware of- not as complicated as ACT!  Just a simple disc I could buy, install and use- no ongoing memberships.  I really don't need much.  Just a way to recall a few contacts and some associated notes.

Bronze Super Contributor

Good points.  

I would recommend just searching for CRM and see what comes up.  

I did a search for Rolodex and found an interesting site:  Home (redhousesoftware.com) 

Good luck.

John Purdy
ACT CRM Advisor

Thanks John!  That software looks interesting but would prefer one that is more well known.

Bronze Super Contributor

It's been a long time since I've searched for a simple contact manager.  

What you are looking for is ACT Ver 1.0.  

Then I was fiddling around with Windows 10 and realized there is a people product included with Windows.

There is an app called People.  Just search for it in the search window.  

Good luck.

John Purdy
ACT CRM Advisor

Thanks..  I'm sure earlier versions of Act! will not work anymore so that is not a solution.  The other apps are not either.  I want a simple contact management piece of software that is not a subscription...yes, like the earlier versions of Act! use to be. Everyone has gone to the cloud and forces ongoing subscriptions. At least to their credit ACT does allow for local installs which is more than can be said of it's top competitors.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway and Happy Holidays!